BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: Middle East
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Sunday, 12 August, 2001, 20:55 GMT 21:55 UK
Blast rocks Israeli cafe
Wall Street Cafe, Kiryat Motzkin
The blast was the second suicide bombing in four days
A Palestinian suicide bomber killed himself and injured 15 people at a cafe near the Israeli coastal town of Haifa on Sunday.

And in continuing violence, a seven-year-old girl was killed in crossfire between Israeli soldiers and Palestinian gunmen in the West Bank city of Hebron.

The explosion at a busy coffee bar on the outskirts of Haifa happened three days after a suicide bombing at a Jerusalem restaurant on Thursday that killed 15 people.


We will exact a price for every attack

Raanan Gissin
Israeli spokesman
Speaking after the latest bombing, Raanan Gissin, spokesman for Israeli Prime Minster Ariel Sharon, told the BBC that they would be taking additional measures to stop such attacks.

The Israeli Government responded to the bombing in Jerusalem with air strikes on Palestinian targets and by seizing the unofficial Palestinian headquarters in Jerusalem, Orient House.

Youngsters 'targeted'

With sirens wailing, ambulances rushed to the scene of Sunday's blast at the Wall Street Cafe in Kiryat Motzkin, a Haifa suburb.


Witnesses said a man got out of a taxi, walked to the restaurant terrace and detonated the explosives which he was carrying in a bag.

The militant Palestinian group, Islamic Jihad, said it carried out the bombing and warned that more will follow.

The group named the suicide bomber as 28-year-old Muhammad Mahmoud Nasr.

The BBC's Paul Wood in Jerusalem says the attack, like Thursday's, appeared targeted at Jewish youngsters.

He says if there had been Israeli loss of life, the pressure on Israeli Prime Ariel Sharon to take the military option against the Palestinians might have proved irresistible.

Talks

Despite the latest violence, Mr Sharon is reported to have given his Foreign Minister, Shimon Peres, the go-ahead to hold more talks with the Palestinians on a ceasefire.

Blast victim from Wall Street Cafe, Kiryat Motzkin
Victims were taken to nearby hospitals
But an Israeli political source said there would not be negotiations about political solutions while the violence continued.

Palestinian officials have already described the move as meaningless unless the Israelis leave the Palestinian offices they seized in reprisal for Thursday's bombing.

"There's nothing new in Peres having talks with us...What we want is for Sharon to revoke his latest orders," Palestinian minister Saeb Erekat told Reuters.

In an attempt to stop violence from escalating out of control, a US envoy was meeting both sides on Sunday.

Arrests

Renewed diplomatic efforts came as the Islamic militant group Hamas - which said it carried out Thursday's attack - announced that Palestinian security forces had arrested four of its members.

Muhammad Mahmoud Nasr
Muhammad Mahmoud Nasr was named as the bomber
They include the man Israel says sent the suicide bomber on his deadly mission to the Jerusalem pizza restaurant where the bombing took place.

One of Israel's key demands has been that the Palestinian leadership detain militants that Israel blames for attacks on its citizens.

But Israeli spokesman Raanan Gissin said Sunday's bombing showed Yasser Arafat and the Palestinian Authority were not taking the proper action to arrest those responsible.

"Another day, another suicide bombing, " Mr Gissin said in an interview with the BBC.

"We will exact a price for every attack," he warned, adding that Israeli was going to "change the rules of the game" and take additional measures.

Retaliation

Troops stormed the Palestinians' main political foothold in the city, Orient House, as part of retaliation for last Thursday's suicide bombing in Jerusalem in which 15 Israelis were killed.

Orient House roadblock
Israeli police have sealed off the area around Orient House
The United Nations Secretary-General, Kofi Annan, on Sunday demanded an end to what a UN statement describes as the Israeli occupation of the building and called for an immediate ceasefire.

But Israel has declared that Orient House will never be handed back.

The country's Security Minister, Uzi Landau, said soldiers occupying it would stay for good, and that Israel was doing no more than asserting its sovereignty.

Palestinians have called for a "day of rage" on Monday to protest at the Israelis' actions.

Despite international pressure, Israel remains defiant.

"Orient House will not open again - ever," Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said in an interview with the Yediot Ahronot newspaper published on Sunday.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Nick Childs
"Only the bomber died"
Laurie Mylorie, Information for Democracy
"Peace prospects are not looking very good"
Ra'anan Gissin, Israeli government spokesman
"We will exact a price for every attack"
See also:

08 Aug 01 | Middle East
Suicide bomb injures Israeli soldier
18 Jul 01 | Middle East
School trains suicide bombers
09 Jul 01 | Middle East
Suicide bomber dies in Gaza blast
19 Oct 00 | Middle East
Who are Hamas?
09 Aug 01 | Middle East
Who are Islamic Jihad?
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Middle East stories