BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Saturday, 11 August, 2001, 18:34 GMT 19:34 UK
Fighting threatens Macedonia deal
Mother kisses dead son
This was the second series of burials in two days
Fierce fighting has broken out in northern Macedonia, casting further doubt on Monday's planned signing of a peace agreement between Macedonian and ethnic Albanian leaders.

The defence ministry said security forces in the village of Radusa near the Kosovo border came under sustained attack for several hours from rebels alleged to have infiltrated the area from the UN-administered territory.

Macedonian helicopter gunship
Helicopter gunships were seen over Skopje

Troop reinforcements were flown to the area by helicopter.

Heavy machine-gun and mortar fire was also reported in the northwestern town of Tetovo, which has in the past been the scene of repeated clashes between government forces and ethnic Albanian rebels.

Hospital officials said a Macedonian policeman and a civilian had been hurt in the latest upsurge in fighting.

Meanwhile Macedonians mourned the deaths of seven soldiers in a landmine explosion just outside Skopje on Friday.

Correspondents say fighting is still sporadic but has been getting progressively heavier since the peace deal with ethnic Albanians was agreed on Wednesday.

International mediators from the European Union and the United States have said it is critical that the deal is signed on schedule.

But the Macedonian Government believes the latest fighting is proof that the ethnic Albanian rebels will never agree to surrender their arms to Nato as the deal demands.

Eulogies

Crowds gathered at several cemeteries in Skopje to bury the seven soldiers blown up in Friday's mine explosion.

Ethnic Albanian surveys damage to shop
Macedonians turned their anger on ethnic Albanian shopkeepers
Officials delivered eulogies to the dead men, whom they praised as heroes who died for their country.

It was the second series of burials in two days.

Another 10 soldiers, killed on Wednesday in the worst single attack by rebels so far, were buried on Friday.

Macedonians angry at the killings rioted in Skopje, looting ethnic Albanian businesses and protesting outside the US embassy.

Senior Macedonian ministers decided on Friday night that military action against ethnic Albanian rebels would continue.

The Macedonian foreign minister has called for tougher international intervention to avoid full-blown civil war.

Plea for help

Government sources said they had evidence that rebel infiltration from Kosovo had led to the latest outbreak of fighting in Radusa.

BBC correspondent Chris Morris says the authorities are determined to portray the rebel movement as the aggressors in this conflict.

But officials say the government still intends to sign a peace deal on Monday negotiated between leaders of the Macedonian and ethnic Albanian communities.

International mediators hope the signing ceremony will go ahead but are taking nothing for granted.

Every report of further fighting makes the peace process look even more vulnerable.

A future amnesty for rebel fighters has yet to be negotiated, and after Saturday's funerals the talk is not of forgiveness but of revenge, the BBC's Chris Morris says.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Paul Adams reports from Macedonia
"The bloodiest week so far"
Macedonian government spokesman Antonio Milosovsky
"The situation is very, very serious"
NATO spokesman Major Barry Johnson
responds to allegations that rebels have come in from Kosovo

Key stories

Features

Viewpoints

AUDIO VIDEO
See also:

10 Aug 01 | Europe
Macedonia buries ambush victims
06 Aug 01 | Europe
Nato ready for Macedonia action
04 Jul 01 | Europe
Viewpoint: Macedonian identity
20 Mar 01 | Europe
The military balance
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories