BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Saturday, 11 August, 2001, 06:23 GMT 07:23 UK
Hamiltons deny 'sex assault'
Christine Hamilton with husband Neil
The couple vehemently denied the allegations
Former Tory MP Neil Hamilton and his wife Christine have strongly denied allegations of serious sexual assault.

The couple were arrested when they attended a London police station by appointment on Friday.

Leaving Barkingside police station after five hours of questioning, they said the allegations were "monstrous".


It is an absolutely monstrous fabrication and a lie

Christine Hamilton
The Hamiltons' solicitor Michael Coleman said the couple had been questioned over accusations that they had carried out indecent acts while a rape was allegedly being committed in Ilford on Saturday 5 May.

He said: "The details of that allegation are quite horrific."

Mr Hamilton, 52, said: "There is no truth whatsoever in the allegations that have been made against me and my wife."

His wife, who is 51, said: "It is an absolutely monstrous fabrication and a lie."

No charges

Police said a man in his sixties was arrested in June as part of the same inquiry.

He was bailed until later this month.

Mr Coleman said the Hamiltons had co-operated fully with the police and given them details about their whereabouts on the night of the alleged offences.

Max Clifford
Max Clifford claims a woman came to see him with the allegations
They have also given police access to telephone and credit card records.

Computer equipment from the couple's home in Cheshire is reported to have been taken by investigating officers.

Mr Coleman said the name of PR consultant Max Clifford was raised during the police interviews.

The Hamiltons were released from custody without charge and will be liaising with police over next few weeks, he said.

'Frightened and concerned'

Mr Hamilton added: "Given the name of Max Clifford has been mentioned in this context, the man who brought you Freddie Star Eats My Hamster, it can be believed to that extent."

Mr Clifford told the BBC a woman in her late 20s had contacted him with serious allegations about the Hamiltons which she wanted made public.

When she told him about the rape allegation, Mr Clifford said he told her to go to the police.

He said: "She seemed to be extremely frightened and concerned with what she claimed had been going on for some months before she came to see me, and then the alleged rape took place.

"What has happened today must show that the police are taking it seriously."

Earlier on Friday the Hamiltons attended the funeral of penal reformer Lord Longford at Westminster Cathedral in central London.

'Cash for questions'

The couple are no strangers to the media limelight and appeared on the steps of Barkingside police station with TV presenter Louis Theroux, who is making a programme about them.

The former MP was recently declared bankrupt after he lost a libel action against Harrods owner Mohammed Al Fayed over the so-called "cash for questions" affair.

Mr Hamilton had wanted to clear his name of accusations that he had accepted envelopes stuffed with cash from Mr Al Fayed in exchange for asking parliamentary questions.

He subsequently lost an appeal against the decision and is understood to owe about £3m in legal costs.

The allegations had also effectively ended his ministerial career.

He lost his seat in the 1997 general election when the cash for questions scandal prompted former BBC correspondent Martin Bell to run against him on an anti-corruption ticket.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Graham Satchell
"Detectives have been investigating these allegations for three months"
Christine Hamilton
"We're not expecting charges"
PR consultant Max Clifford
"I haven't made any allegations"
See also:

10 Aug 01 | UK Politics
Profile: Neil Hamilton
22 May 01 | UK
Hamilton declared bankrupt
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories