BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK Politics
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Interviews 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Friday, 10 August, 2001, 21:20 GMT 22:20 UK
Lib Dems uneasy about bombings
US F-15 fighters patrol the no-fly zone in southern Iraq
About 50 Allied aircraft took part in Friday's strikes
The latest Allied bombings in Iraq are a cause for unease, say the Liberal Democrats, but the government says the strikes were only "self defence".

British and American war planes attacked air defence sites in southern Iraq at midday local time (1030 BST) on Friday.


This action is fully justified in light of continued Iraqi threats against Allied aircraft

Iain Duncan Smith
Shadow defence secretary
Liberal Democrat foreign affairs spokesman Menzies Campbell raised concerns that the bombings depended on a very broad interpretation of UN Security Council resolutions.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said the strikes were carried out in self-defence and the action has also won support from the Conservatives.

Lib Dem worries

Reacting to the raids, Menzies Campbell said: "These operations leave many people feeling uneasy.

"The legal basis for attacks of this kind depends upon a very broad interpretation of Security Council resolutions, none of which expressly authorise military action.

"There is more than a suspicion that the attacks are designed to ensure that Iraq's air defence system is kept at a reduce level as part of a long-term campaign of containment."

He added: "Self-defence is one thing, retaliation is another."

The Pentagon said the strikes on three targets in the southern no-fly zone involved about 50 Allied aircraft.

An Iraqi military spokesman claimed one person had been killed and 11 injured.

Self defence

A spokeswoman for the MoD told BBC News Online there was nothing new in such strikes and denied suggestions it was the largest for six months.

"It was in self-defence as it always is," she added.

For the Conservatives, shadow defence secretary Iain Duncan Smith said his party backed the air strikes.

He said: "Those who complain about it should set out what they plan to do.

"This action is fully justified in light of continued Iraqi threats against Allied aircraft.

"It is right to work with the United States to ensure that the no-fly zones are protected.

"It is important to ensure British and Allied pilots are not in danger."

The no-fly zones, within which Iraqi aircraft are barred, were set up after the Gulf War to protect Shia Muslims and Kurds.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Jonny Dymond
"Three sites were targeted by the twenty aircraft"
See also:

10 Aug 01 | Middle East
Allied planes bomb Iraq
26 Jul 01 | Middle East
Bush to counter Iraq 'menace'
26 Jul 01 | Middle East
Iraq 'nearly downs' US spy plane
17 Feb 01 | Middle East
Iraq defiant over missile attack
03 Jul 01 | Middle East
Iraq escapes 'smart sanctions'
02 Jul 01 | Middle East
Analysis: Iraq wins sanctions battle
29 Jun 01 | Middle East
Iraq outburst over UN sanctions
27 Jun 01 | Middle East
UN deadlock over Iraq sanctions
27 Feb 01 | Middle East
Powell's new plans for Iraq
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK Politics stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK Politics stories