| You are in: World: South Asia | ||||
|
|
Friday, 10 August, 2001, 18:02 GMT 19:02 UK
Six policemen 'killed in NE India'
The entire region has been placed on alert
By Subir Bhaumik in Calcutta
Six policemen are said to have been killed in an ambush by separatist rebels in the north-east Indian state of Meghalaya. Police said two rebel groups launched the attack in an attempt to create panic in the region ahead of India's Independence Day celebrations on 15 August. They said armed rebels ambushed a convoy of the state police near Sangsak in the East Garo Hills district of the state. Six policemen died on the spot and four others were seriously injured. Police said fighting went on for about half-an-hour. The rebels took away six rifles belonging to the dead policemen after the attack. Rebels Police said rebels of the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) and the Achik National Volunteers Council (ANVC) were involved in the attack. The NDFB is fighting for an independent homeland for the Bodo tribes in Assam. The group is suspected to be behind a similar attack on a police convoy earlier this week in which eight policemen and two civilians were killed. The ANVC is fighting for a separate homeland for the Garo tribe in Meghalaya. |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top South Asia stories now:
Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||
Links to more South Asia stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|