| You are in: World: Asia-Pacific | |||||||||||
|
|
Friday, 10 August, 2001, 15:25 GMT 16:25 UK
Fresh appeal for missing Briton
CCTV footage of a potential suspect has been enhanced
The brother of a British tourist missing in
the Australian Outback has made another appeal to the public to help police find him.
Peter Falconio has not been seen since he and his girlfriend, Joanne Lees, were ambushed by a gunman on a remote road more than three weeks ago. His brother Paul made the fresh appeal for information at a news conference in Alice Springs on Friday. He also said there was "a good possibility" that a man pictured on security cameras at a service station was his brother's suspected kidnapper.
Police have released CCTV footage taken of a man matching the description of his suspected kidnapper at a nearby service station a few hours after the incident. 'Traumatised' Miss Lees, who managed to escape following the ambush, had earlier suggested the man pictured probably was the couple's attacker. Speaking at Friday's press conference, Paul Falconio, 31, said: "Anybody in Australia, or anywhere, if you see anything or you know of any information if you could come forward," he said. "This is from myself, Joanne and both our families, we both want the same result, and that's to find Peter and find out what's happened." Miss Lees sat next to Paul Falconio during the conference, but did not speak to the media. But her family said she was still traumatised by her ordeal. Her stepfather, Vincent James, 58, said: "She has good days and bad days and the last couple of days have been quite bad." Manhunt Mr Falconio disappeared when he and Miss Lees stopped their van to help a driver who had flagged them down After Mr Falconio got out of his vehicle, Miss Lees says she heard what sounded like a gunshot. She was then bound and gagged by the attacker but managed to escape and hide for almost six hours before being helped by a passing truck driver. Blood matching Mr Falconio's DNA was found at the ambush scene. On Tuesday a post mortem examination confirmed that the body of a man found near an Outback highway was not that of Mr Falconio. Police said the white male, who was found by local residents, died of fatal stab wounds to the neck. Mr Falconio's disappearance has sparked one of the biggest manhunts ever launched in Australia, with police using aircraft, helicopters and Aboriginal trackers used in the search.. A £90,000 reward has been offered for information leading to the arrest of the gunman.
|
Top Asia-Pacific stories now:
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|