| You are in: UK: Wales | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Friday, 10 August, 2001, 10:42 GMT 11:42 UK
Warning on Thai death anniversary
Kirsty Jones was murdered in the Thai city of Chiang Mai
A year after the murder of backpacker Kirsty Jones, the British Embassy in Thailand have said there have been rape attacks on eight other tourists since the beginning of last year.
Ms Jones from Tredomen near Brecon, was found raped and strangled in a guest house in Chiang Mai exactly a year ago.
And as the search for her killer continues, the British Embassy in Bangkok have said that although the country is safe to visit, women should be aware of the dangers. "We would encourage people to look at the Foreign Office travel advice which gives updated information for travellers visiting Thailand," a spokesman said. "Women travellers should be aware there have been a number of reported incidents over the past year and a half.
"We would also point out that Thailand remains a very safe country to travel..." "Of course these incidents are unfortunate but the numbers are low compared to the rest of the world." Statistics show that three British women were raped in Bangkok, while four were attacked on remote islands - two were assaulted on Koh Phi Phi, one on Koh Samui and one on Koh Lanpa. Ms Jones was one of two women who were raped in the city of Chiang Mai.
The body of the Liverpool University graduate, from Tredomen, near Brecon in mid Wales, was found in her room at the £1-a-night Aree guesthouse. Travelling alone, she had plans to make her way to Australia and was at the start of a two-year world backpacking tour. Earlier this week her family issued a statement insisting that her killer must be caught. "One day we hope to see justice done, for the safety of other backpackers, but most importantly for Kirsty," it read. "Someone somewhere should pay the price for robbing us and Kirsty of what should have been a wonderful, happy life." In the initial investigations into her death Thai police arrested the hostel owner Andrew Gill after releasing 14 other suspects.
He had always vehemently denied any involvement in Ms Jones's death and was subsequently released without charge. Since then Thai police say there have been no developments in the search for her killer. Dyfed-Powys Police - who have been keen to help in the murder inquiry - dispatched two detectives to Thailand in June to take a fresh look at the inquiry.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Wales stories now:
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Wales stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|