BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: Middle East
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Friday, 10 August, 2001, 10:45 GMT 11:45 UK
Arafat warns of escalating conflict
Pro-Palestinian protesters outside Orient House
Troops clashed with crowds outside Orient House
Israeli attacks on the West Bank and Gaza are a "dangerous escalation" of 10 months of violence, Yasser Arafat has warned.

The Palestinian leader was speaking after Israeli fighter jets rocketed Palestinian police headquarters in the West Bank city of Ramallah, in retaliation for Thursday's suicide bomb that killed 15 people in the heart of Jerusalem.

Israeli girls comfort one another at the funeral of one of the victims, 15-yar-old Michael Raziel
Grief and shock have followed the Jerusalem bombing
Later, there were angry scuffles and several arrests as Israeli troops took control of several Palestinian Authority offices in East Jerusalem and elsewhere - including Orient House, the Palestinians' political headquarters in the city.

BBC Jerusalem correspondent Nick Childs says that the move is highly symbolic, undercutting the Palestinians' main political foothold in East Jerusalem, while asserting Israel's position.

Funerals have been taking place for some of those killed in the bombing, including five members from one family who were buried in Jerusalem's main cemetery.


This is a very dangerous [situation] against the Palestinian people

Yasser Arafat
Mordechai and Tzirli Schijueshuurder - from the West Bank settlement of Talmon - died along with three of their children, aged two, four and 14.

Arrests

Jordan and Egypt led condemnation of the Israeli attacks, and called for the re-opening of Orient House.

Israeli flag flies over Orient House
Palestinians have vowed to retake Orient House
"This behaviour by the Israeli forces is part of the chain of provocative Israeli practices which violate agreements," Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Maher said of the seizure of the Palestinian headquarters.

Several people, including Europeans from the Committee for Solidarity with the Palestinian People, were arrested as hundreds of pro-Palestinian demonstrators gathered outside Orient House.

A British peace campaigner named as Anjie Zelter was among those detained.

The French news agency AFP said the demonstrators tried to break through a cordon around the building but were beaten back by police.

'Dangerous consequences'

Mr Arafat said the overnight attacks would serve only to strengthen the Palestinian movement, and Palestinian officials warned of dangerous consequences.

"This is a very dangerous [situation] against the Palestinian people and an escalation," he said as he toured the debris.

The Ramallah police station was levelled by the two Israeli missiles fired at it.


But it appears that many Palestinian police stations had been evacuated ahead of the attacks amid fears of Israeli retaliation for the Jerusalem bombing.

The last time Israel used F-16 fighters was following a Palestinian attack in May, when a suicide bomber killed six people outside a shopping centre in the coastal city of Netanya.

The BBC's James Reynolds says the reaction has not been as violent as many Israelis had expected; some are calling for an overwhelming military attack on Palestinian targets.

Deadly attack

Thursday's bomb in Jerusalem was the most deadly attack since a Palestinian suicide bomber killed 20 Israelis in Tel Aviv on 1 June - and the worst by far in Jerusalem during the ongoing 10-month Palestinian uprising.

Deadly suicide attacks
9 August: Jerusalem pizzeria, at least 15 dead
16 July: Binyamina bus stop, two dead
1 June: Tel Aviv disco, 21 dead
18 May: Netanya shopping centre, five dead
The nail-packed bomb exploded in one of the busiest intersections in Jewish west Jerusalem at the busiest part of the day.

Palestinian suicide bombers have killed dozens of Israelis since the uprising began after peace talks became deadlocked.

More than 560 people on the Palestinian side and more than 150 on the Israeli side have been killed since hostilities broke out in September 2000.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Ben Brown
"The dream of peace in the Middle East is more distant than ever"
Dr Dore Gold, Israeli Government Spokesman
"You can not have meaningful negotiations when you are being fired upon"
Dr Mustapha Barghouti, Palestinian activist
"Orient House... is an important symbol of the peace process"
See also:

10 Aug 01 | Middle East
In pictures: Israel funerals
08 Aug 01 | Middle East
Suicide bomb injures Israeli soldier
18 Jul 01 | Middle East
School trains suicide bombers
09 Jul 01 | Middle East
Suicide bomber dies in Gaza blast
19 Oct 00 | Middle East
Who are Hamas?
10 Aug 01 | Middle East
Why grab Orient House?
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Middle East stories