BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Thursday, 9 August, 2001, 21:42 GMT 22:42 UK
Police re-enact bomb attack
Grey Saab 9000, similar to that used in the attack
The car was parked at 2300BST on Thursday
Police have staged a reconstruction of the events which led up to the Ealing bomb blast one week ago.

A grey Saab 9000 saloon car, similar to the one used in the attack, was driven into Ealing Broadway in west London and parked outside a clothing shop.

Detectives hope to trigger the memories of anyone who saw the car, which exploded at 20 seconds past midnight, an hour after it was parked.

Meanwhile, one of the 11 people injured in the blast has been readmitted to hospital in a critical condition after collapsing.

Doctors are not sure whether the condition of the 45-year-old man - who was released from hospital on Saturday after treatment for cuts and concussion - is related to the explosion.

Dissident republican group the Real IRA has been blamed for the attack.

Public appeal

During Thursday night's reconstruction, officers spoke to people in the streets and handed out appeal posters.

The car was parked outside the Pie4 clothing store at 2300BST, in the hope that people might remember seeing the vehicle approach the scene, or the driver.

Earlier this week, police released CCTV footage of the man believed responsible for planting the car bomb.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Alan Fry, Head of Scotland Yards Anti-Terrorist Branch
Alan Fry hoped to jog memories of the attack
Alan Fry of the Anti-Terrorist Branch said he was hoping the reconstruction would "jog the memories of people who were in the area exactly a week ago".

"Did you see the Saab being parked and the suspect getting out of the vehicle?

"Where did the man go? Was he picked up in a vehicle? Did he use public transport? Did he join up with someone else?

"This is a very busy area with pubs and clubs, near to the Tube and railway stations.

"There were hundreds of innocent people enjoying an evening out when the bomb detonated - it was very fortunate that no-one was critically injured or killed."

'Callous' attack

Mr Fry said the injured man had been readmitted to hospital after collapsing on Wednesday.

He added: "It is a further example of the reckless, callous nature of these terrorists who are prepared to put a car bomb in an area near pubs and clubs where innocent people are frequenting and having a normal enjoyable Thursday evening out."

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir John Stevens
Sir John Stevens has vowed to catch the bombers
Earlier on Thursday, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir John Stevens visited the bomb scene and promised that those responsible would be brought to justice.

Standing next to the four-foot deep bomb crater, Sir John said he was "very confident" of catching the bombers.

He also praised the local community for their "patience and forbearance".

Many business owners in Ealing have estimated repair bills could run into hundreds of thousands of pounds.

"Make no mistake about it, we will catch the people responsible for this wherever they are," he said.

"We'll get there whether it's next week or next year, they need to know we'll catch them."

Anyone with information about the bombing is urged to contact police on 0800 789321.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Steohen Cape
"The police decided to stage a reconstruction"
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories