BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: Americas
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Thursday, 9 August, 2001, 15:56 GMT 16:56 UK
Colombia bomb blast kills three children
Special Colombian anti-narcotics unit
The army was on alert for a rebel attack
A bomb has killed three children and injured 35 people in northern Colombia.

No group said it was responsible, but officials blamed the attack on the left-wing National Liberation Army (ELN) after President Andres Pastrana suspended talks with the group on Tuesday.

A police spokeswoman told the Associated Press the attack seemed to be an ELN reprisal for Tuesday's announcement by the president.

Colonel Guillermo Aranda, police chief of Antioquia district, said an ELN unit triggered the blast late on Wednesday night, then opened fired on the police station and homes in the town of San Francisco, 110 miles north-east of the capital Bogota.

Police target

The bomb appeared to have been targeted at the police station, but the blast instead damaged 25 nearby houses.
Colombian army soldier
The guerrilla war has gone on 37 years

Two sisters aged seven and eight, and their 10-year-old cousin, were killed as a building collapsed.

The Colombian military had been on alert for a possible retaliation by the ELN, Colombia's second largest rebel group, since President Pastrana announced the talks freeze on Tuesday.

He said the rebels had raised new demands and rejected government proposals.

Quick to respond

When talks with the ELN have broken down before, the group has been quick to respond.

Unofficial talks had been taking place in neighbouring Venezuela between representatives of the government and the ELN.

Mr Pastrana had promised to end the 37-year-old guerrilla war before leaving office next year.

The government is still in talks with the larger Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), but correspondents say there has been little progress.

More than 40,000 people, mainly civilians, have lost their lives in the past decade alone because of the violence.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Jeremy McDermott
"All but one of the casualties were civilians"
See also:

08 Aug 01 | Americas
Colombia wary after peace talks fail
17 Jun 01 | Americas
Colombia frees rebels
28 Jun 01 | Americas
Colombia rebels free 250
05 May 01 | From Our Own Correspondent
Colombia's mass exodus
23 Apr 01 | Americas
Colombia probes rebel 'drugs links'
14 Jan 01 | Americas
Eyewitness: Inside a cocaine factory
09 Dec 00 | From Our Own Correspondent
Despair over Colombian tragedy
18 Aug 99 | World
Colombia's hostage trade
13 Jul 01 | Media reports
Colombian oil region in crisis
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Americas stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Americas stories