BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Thursday, 9 August, 2001, 16:06 GMT 17:06 UK
Foot-and-mouth inquiry welcomed
Four cases of foot-and-mouth were confirmed in NI
Four cases of foot-and-mouth were confirmed in NI
An independent inquiry into the foot-and-mouth crisis in Northern Ireland has been welcomed by the farming community.

The inquiry, one of three announced by the government on Thursday, will look at the lessons to be learned from the crisis, which devastated the agriculture industry in the province earlier this year.

Ulster Farmers Union spokesman Douglas Rowe, said it was an important step forward, but that it should not become a "witch hunt".

Four cases of the disease were found in counties Antrim, Armagh and Tyrone in March and April.

The disease was first discovered at a farm in Meigh, South Armagh on 1 March.

'What went wrong'

The other three cases were found on cattle and dairy farms at Ardboe in Tyrone and at Cushendall in the Glens of Antrim.

Mr Rowe said: "We have asked for an inquiry into the whole foot-and-mouth outbreak in the UK but we are pleased that there is an independent inquiry in Northern Ireland," he said.

"We want an inquiry that teaches us what went wrong and what we can learn from in the future.

The three inquiries are made up of an examination of the government's handling of the outbreak, a scientific review and a commission on the future of farming and food.

UFU President Douglas Rowe
Douglas Rowe:"Teach us what went wrong"

The policy commission will look at the future of farming and the balance between farming and rural communities.

The science review will be carried out by the Royal Society and will look at how future epidemics can be prevented from breaking out in the UK.

The third inquiry, chaired by Dr Iain Anderson, will look at the handling of the crisis by the government and whether any mistakes were made.

The minister for agriculture, Brid Rodgers is already investigating compensation claims by some farmers hit by the disease.

There have been 1,936 cases of foot-and-mouth across the UK, with 3,701,000 animals slaughtered.

See also:

27 Mar 01 | Northern Ireland
Regional export status for NI
01 Mar 01 | Northern Ireland
Livestock disease confirmed in NI
28 Mar 01 | Northern Ireland
Farmers' objections delay NI cull
20 Jul 01 | Northern Ireland
Fraudulent farmers face court
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories