BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK: Scotland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Thursday, 9 August, 2001, 16:15 GMT 17:15 UK
Doubts remain over exam results
A pupil receives her exam results
The SQA admits incomplete results could be sent out
A number of Scottish pupils could receive incomplete exam results, the country's qualifications board has admitted.

The results of some 2,500 students were under scrutiny last week because of anomalies which were discovered by the Scottish Qualifications Authority's new system.

Checks had been carried out on 871 exam results, but the total number of unresolved cases remains at 1,609.

The SQA admitted that a "handful" of pupils may be posted incomplete certificates on 14 August.

Bill Morton, SQA head
Bill Morton: "Good progress"
The organisation has now outlined emergency plans for dealing with any outstanding cases.

SQA chief executive Bill Morton said: "We are continuing to make good progress on the very small number of candidate queries outlined last week and we will continue to work with schools and colleges to bring that number down even further.

"We are also extremely pleased to announce that we will forward completed candidate results back to schools on schedule, as promised.

"Furthermore, at this stage, it is vitally important that the accuracy of all results is maintained and that there is a clear understanding amongst candidates and schools alike as to our contingency plans should there be a small number of outstanding cases come August 14."

Later, an SQA spokesman admitted that although he expected the vast majority of unresolved cases would be dealt with, a "handful" of pupils may not receive complete certificates.

Double checks

He said: "We are double-checking results, not because there is a problem but because a small number of candidate profiles are not normal and we want to get it right this year.

"We have made good progress over the last three days in dealing with these unresolved cases and we want to get the additional checks resolved as quickly as possible."

SQA chairman John Ward said the body had made a "tremendous leap forward" from last year's fiasco, when 17,000 candidates received incomplete and inaccurate results.

Jack McConnell, education minister
Jack McConnell: Pleased with progress
Where outstanding individual candidate information restricts the organisation from issuing accurate certificates, the SQA has confirmed that a full explanation will be relayed back to the relevant candidate centre before next Tuesday.

Any candidates whose cases are not resolved will also receive a letter on certification day, fully outlining the reasons for the delay, with additional guidance on how both the SQA and their school or college will work to resolve the matter.

Education Minister Jack McConnell has welcomed the progress made by the SQA.

He said: "I am pleased the small number of cases requiring clarification from schools and colleges has reduced further.

"I hope the SQA and schools will continue to work closely over the next few days to bring this number down even more."

Assurances sought

Mr McConnell added: "It is important that, for the young people concerned, everyone continues to work together in the run up to Tuesday and beyond."

But the Scottish National Party's education spokesman said had had written to Mr McConnell asking for assurances that pupils awaiting results will not have university places jeapordised by incomplete certificates.

Mike Russell
Mike Russell has written to Jack McConnell
Mike Russell later "It is extremely worrying that according to the education minister even at this late stage, 1,600 pieces of exam information have still to be checked and some pupils may receive incomplete certificates.

"How many of the 1,600 pieces of information relate to university applicants?

"Have the univiersities therefore received incomplete results from the SQA or have the SQA held these results back until they have been completed?

"Either way these applicants may find themselves at a disadvantage.

"I have today written to the education minister calling on him to urgently provide clarification over this issue and to guarantee that no university applicant has been put at a disadvantage."

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
Martha Fairlie reports
"Teachers say there is a clear difference this year from last summer"
See also:

09 Aug 01 | Education
'Distorted' exam results warning
03 Aug 01 | Scotland
Exam chiefs' vote of confidence
25 May 01 | Education
Exam results 'will be out on time'
21 May 01 | Education
Students' worries over new exams
06 Oct 00 | Scotland
Exam chief's damning report
06 Sep 00 | Scotland
Exams body blamed for debacle
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Scotland stories