| You are in: UK: Scotland | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, 8 August, 2001, 18:59 GMT 19:59 UK
Celtic supporter hurt in shooting
Some shocked fans remained outside the bar
A Celtic supporter has been shot and wounded in Amsterdam just hours before the club's Champions League clash with Dutch side Ajax.
The 41-year-old Glasgow man, who was with his son and brother, suffered a chest wound when a lone gunman opened fire in the city centre bar Teasers. He was taken by ambulance to an Amsterdam hospital where his condition was described as stable. Police in the city said the shooting was not football-related and there was no indication of another motive. The nationality of the gunman has not been established.
"A 41-year-old Glasgow man was found to have a shot wound in the chest and has gone to hospital and is in a stable condition, and is not critical. "What happened we don't really know, but we do know it had nothing to do with the football match. "The person that did the shooting, the suspect, was coloured and was not wearing any soccer outfit." The gunman was believed to have discarded his weapon in the bar and managed to evade police. The spokeswoman said there had been no other trouble in the city and relations between Ajax and Celtic fans have always been cordial. 'No arrests' "The spirits have been good in the city and in the bar, we don't know the background to what has happened but obviously something has happened," she told reporters. "No arrests have been made as a result of the shooting". The family were among about 200 Celtic supporters on the premises and while most dispersed after the incident some remained behind, with shock and disbelief evident on their faces. Thousands of Celtic fans had been arriving in the city throughout the day for the game.
She said he had been taken to hospital but had no further details about his injuries. "Part of our consular duties will be to visit him in hospital and obviously we will have more details after that," said the spokeswoman. A spokesman for Celtic said: "Celtic Football Club is shocked to hear of this incident and is working with the British Consul, Strathclyde Police and the Dutch authorities to ensure that the man and his family receive all the help and support we can provide. "We will be doing what we can to help our supporter and his family at this difficult time." |
Hope of Euro glory Sweet Ajax memories See also:
Top Scotland stories now:
Links to more Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Scotland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|