| You are in: UK | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, 9 August, 2001, 08:07 GMT 09:07 UK
Explosion claims third life
The explosion was described as "considerable"
A third workman has died after an explosion at a power station in north-east England.
An investigation is under way into the cause of the blast at the station, which is operated by the US multinational company Enron, in Lazenby on Teesside. The third worker to die had been taken to Middlesbrough General Hospital with severe burns after the explosion in a transformer room on Wednesday afternoon. Another man remains in hospital in a stable condition. Previous incidents Enron's chief executive is flying from America to take part in the investigation, which involves company officials and the Health and Safety Executive.
The explosion was the third at the plant since it was built eight years ago. Two previous accidents left two employees seriously injured, one partially blind and deaf. Following the latest incident, the Chief Executive of Enron Power Operations, Tim Underdown, said: "Our immediate concerns are for the families, friends and colleagues of the employees. "We have assembled a team to offer all possible support. 'Deeply shocked' "The power station remains off line and no decision will be taken for some time yet regarding its operation. "Everyone at Enron is deeply shocked and distressed by this incident. "I have spoken to the chief executive officer in the United States and he has immediately made arrangements to fly here," he added. The area surrounding the power station was evacuated but there was no danger off site, the company said. One person said hundreds of workers had been on the site at the time, all of whom were led to safety. The ambulance service instigated special emergency procedures following the incident. A spokesman said: "There was a considerable explosion. "We have many exercises that home in on situations and incidents such as this." Gas cylinder The combined heat and power station, which uses gas from the North Sea to produce electricity for the national grid, had been switched off for maintenance at the time of the explosion. The power station is opposite the former ICI Wilton site, which is still a petro-chemical complex. A Cleveland Police spokeswoman at the scene said: "We do not know what caused it [the explosion] ... it would appear to be an industrial accident." There are unconfirmed reports that a gas cylinder may have been involved in the explosion. Labourer Anthony Haley, 22, from Normanby on Teesside, was working on his first day at the plant. He said: ""I was working with some of the lads and we saw lots of smoke coming from round the corner. "The next thing was people were saying `Get out and evacuate the place'." The Health and Safety Executive has sent one inspector to the scene and more are to arrive on Thursday. An emergency helpline has been set up: 01642 633000.
|
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top UK stories now:
Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more UK stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|