BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: Middle East
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Thursday, 9 August, 2001, 03:21 GMT 04:21 UK
Israel's new 'shoot first' rules
Israeli soldier takes aim
Israel says the new rules are for self-defence
By the BBC's Barbara Plett in Jerusalem

The Israeli army has abandoned some of the restrictions on its troops who are battling the Palestinian uprising, making it easier for them to open fire on Palestinians.

The move is another step away from a two-month-old truce that is essentially dead in the water.

A spokesman for the Israeli Defence Force (IDF) said the new rules of engagement were meant to give soldiers a chance to defend themselves against a growing number of attacks rather than to escalate the conflict.


Dead Palestinians don't serve our interests

Israeli army officer
Israel first outlined stricter field rules under a unilateral ceasefire it declared in May.

These were later incorporated into a June truce brokered by the US Central Intelligence Agency director George Tenet.

Israeli soldiers were permitted to fire live rounds only if they were shot at first and could identify the source.

Now they can shoot at any Palestinians who appear to be preparing an attack, and respond to fire immediately even if they don't know exactly where it's coming from.

A wounded Israeli soldier
Israel says Palestinians have launched 1,000 attacks since the ceasefire was declared
Up to 700 people have been killed since violence erupted last September, three-quarters of them Palestinians.

Palestinian officials say the army's new rules of engagement will not make a difference on the ground, because Israeli soldiers never stopped shooting at Palestinians.

The change in regulations was reported in the Israeli daily newspaper Ha'aretz.

It said there had been more than 1,000 Palestinian attacks since the Tenet agreement was announced, with a sharp rise in the last week.

But a senior IDF officer told the newspaper that this did not necessarily mean a return to the massive Israeli fire seen at times during the intifadah.

"Dead Palestinians don't serve our interests," he said.

"If there's another escalation, it's important that it happen because of them and not because of us."

Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Middle East stories