BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: Business
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Market Data 
Economy 
Companies 
E-Commerce 
Your Money 
Business Basics 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Wednesday, 8 August, 2001, 15:22 GMT 16:22 UK
Argentina signs nuclear deal
Proposed new nuclear reactor at Lucas Heights
Waste from the reactor could be sent to Argentina
Australia and Argentina have signed a nuclear energy treaty allowing nuclear waste to be shipped to and processed in the South American country.

The deal comes after an Argentine company INVAP last year won the contract to design and build a A$286m ($148m) replacement for an ageing nuclear research reactor in Lucas Heights, Sydney.

Officials said the new reactor, like the old one, would be purely a research facility.

Argentina has agreed to accept spent fuel rods from the new reactor if they can no longer be sent to France after court action earlier this year temporarily stopped shipments.

Atomic fears

The proposal to build the new reactor faces opposition from both local residents and a Senate committee, which has said its construction could not be justified on any grounds.

Existing nuclear reactor at Lucas Heights
Lucas Heights has been in operation since 1958
But the Australian government insists medical and scientific research would be impeded if the old reactor was not replaced.

The CAREM (advanced small nuclear power plant) reactor being developed by INVAP is capable of producing 25MWe of electrical power.

Lucas Heights, which is run by the state-owned Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation, is the only functioning nuclear reactor in Australia and has been operational since 1958.

Argentine nuclear industry

The contract, which was awarded to INVAP in July 2000 by the government of John Howard, gives the company its first client for a reactor in the industrialised world.

INVAP has built reactors in Algeria, Cuba and Egypt, but had to pull out of a contract with Iran to supply nuclear materials after objections from the US.

The company was rejected by Thailand as a bidder on a similar research reactor to that planned for Australia, and its order book was almost empty before it won the Lucas Heights contract.

INVAP has faced court proceedings in Argentina for running tests which were allegedly illegal on the new prototype reactor.

See also:

06 Jun 01 | Media reports
Nuclear fears as energy crisis bites
08 Dec 98 | Asia-Pacific
Australia rebuffs nuclear dump idea
22 May 01 | Business
AEA quits nuclear facility
18 May 01 | Business
Hostile reaction to Bush energy plan
01 May 01 | Business
Is there a US energy crisis?
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Business stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Business stories