| You are in: UK: Wales | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, 9 August, 2001, 18:45 GMT 19:45 UK
Police divide rival rallies
The Anti-Nazi League rally is to counter a BNP demo
Police chiefs have announced plans to drive rival race groups apart at rallies in mid Wales in a bid to prevent violence.
The British National Party is holding a weekend "family festival" near Welshpool in Powys and the Anti-Nazi League has planned a counter-demonstration at the site.
Instead, their demonstration will be allowed to happen 15 miles away, in the town of Welshpool, and numbers have been limited to 400. But ANL members are furious and are considering taking legal action to overturn the police ban. The police force has cancelled all staff leave and brought in reinforcements from other forces in a large-scale operation designed to see off the sort of violence seen during summer race riots in the north of England. Riot hotspots The Bradford riots in July were sparked by Anti-Nazi League demonstrations against the National Front. Dyfed-Powys Chief Constable Terence Grange said he had been informed that protesters from Oldham, Blackburn and other recent hotspots had been recruited to join the demonstration and they feared it would result in violence.
But the ANL's Claire Dissington said the police's ruling was "completely outrageous." She said: "They are happy for 500 Nazis to descend on Powys but they are only allowing only 400 anti-Nazis in the area as long as they are 12 miles away. "I see no reason why there cannot be a demonstration in Llanerfyl. These are the people who are whipping up racial hatred. People in Powys don't want this happening." The BNP's "Red, White and Blue 2001" event is billed as a "family festival" of white British culture.
Because it is held on private land in the village, which has around 200 residents, police cannot ban the event under Human Rights Act provisions. Mr Grange said: "My duty is to ensure that both sides of this argument are able to express their views. "My concern is that a small village like Llanerfyl, with less than 200 occupants, will see more than 2,000 people who could cause public disorder." But the ANL's Ms Dissington confirmed that people from towns hit by the recent riots would be attending the group's Welshpool event because "they have seen what the BNP have done in their towns." Marches banned Home Secretary David Blunkett has already banned marches in five towns across England, following requests from local authorities and police. Marches have been banned in Birmingham, Bradford, Burnley, Oldham and Blackburn for three months. A spokesman for Powys County Council said: "We appreciate the concerns being raised about this event. "However the British National Party event is being held on private land and this authority does not have the legal powers to ban this event."
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Wales stories now:
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Wales stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|