BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Thursday, 26 July, 2001, 12:53 GMT 13:53 UK
US serviceman convicted of arson
Anti-US protesters
Anti-US protesters gathered in Okinawa earlier this week
A Japanese court has sentenced a US serviceman to five years in prison for arson on the southern island of Okinawa.

US Marine Lance Corporal Kurt Billie was convicted of setting fire to several bars and restaurants in the central town of Chatan January of this year.


The crimes were vicious and caused tremendous damage

Presiding Judge Soichi Hayashida
Last week, another US serviceman was charged with raping a woman in a car park in the same town.

There is a simmering resentment on the island to the presence of about 25,000 US troops - more than half of all US forces in Japan.

'Vicious' crimes

The court heard that Billie broke into two small restaurants early in the morning of 15 January and set them alight with his cigarette lighter.


Later, on 20 January, he returned to break into the same restaurants and three bars, once again setting them alight with his lighter.

Nobody was injured in any of the attacks.

The presiding judge in the Naha district court said Billie's actions were "vicious" and caused considerable damage.

Billie pleaded guilty and correspondents say that like most prisoners in Japan, he will be required to work in prison factories.

Rape-case echoes

The handling of Billie's case by the US military in some ways echoed the recent row over US airman Timothy Woodland, accused of raping a Japanese woman on 29 June.

American Village
The alleged rape took place in this car park
In both cases the Japanese authorities protested over the military's refusal to hand the suspects over in line with an agreement that protects US personnel in Japan before charges are made.

In the case of Mr Woodland, the row reached diplomatic level. The suspect was eventually placed in police custody after the Japanese gave assurances over his treatment. He was charged two weeks later.

The US argues the Status of Forces Agreement between the US and Japan protects the legal rights of their personnel.

But critics say the US must hand over suspects more quickly, and many Japanese view the US military's attitude as an insult to the nation's justice system.

No change

US Secretary of State Colin Powell
Colin Powell is on a tour of Asian nations
During a brief trip to Tokyo on Tuesday, US Secretary of State Colin Powell said there was "no need" to revise the pact.

But he did say the US would have new talks to try to reduce the impact of the US troops.

He said he would not rule anything out, including a possible reduction in the number of servicemen on Okinawa.

See also:

19 Jul 01 | Asia-Pacific
US rape suspect charged in Japan
24 Jul 01 | Asia-Pacific
US-Japan in talks on US forces
13 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
Okinawa marine sought on arson charges
05 Jul 01 | Asia-Pacific
Japan pressures US over rape suspect
02 Jul 01 | Asia-Pacific
Okinawa dogs Japan-US relations
06 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
Okinawa: Island of resentment
19 Jan 01 | Asia-Pacific
Okinawa urges US troops cutback
06 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
E-mail provokes Okinawa fury
06 Jul 01 | Asia-Pacific
Okinawa: No easy solution
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories