BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Thursday, 26 July, 2001, 15:29 GMT 16:29 UK
Boost for Wembley replacement in Midlands
Coventry stadium
Coventry's new stadium gets a second viewing
Backers of rival bids for the new national football stadium are increasingly hopeful it will be built in the Midlands.

The task force looking for a home for the Wembley replacement is revisiting the site of Coventry City's planned new stadium.

It comes two weeks after the group met officials behind a rival bid to bring the stadium to Birmingham's NEC.

The search for a new site began after the Football Association warned that an extra £150m was needed to cover the spiralling costs of rebuilding Wembley.

Pat Carter, head of the government group considering venues, is examining the possibility of an 80,000-seat national stadium being built on the site where Coventry's new ground is planned.

Second view

Mr Carter visited the city a fortnight ago and met delegates putting together the bid.

Plans for the new Coventry ground include a retractable roof, a roll-out pitch, a new railway station and parking for 6,000 cars.

stadium
A view of the planned stadium next to the NEC

Coventry City Council leader Councillor Nick Nolan said: "We've actually been asked to give more details and we will be meeting the task force."

Mr Carter spend two hours earlier this month studying proposals by Birmingham City Council to build a 85,000-seater stadium on a greenfield site next to the NEC.

Plans for the 112-acre site include a new tram station, a moving walkway to the ground and 22,000 parking spaces.

'Anything possible'

Organisers of the bid fear that bias by political leaders in favour of London may block attempts to build the stadium outside the capital.

A spokesman for the Department of Culture, Media and Sport said: "Pat Carter is looking at all options. He starts from the point of view that anything is possible."

Mr Carter is expected to report back to the government by the end of August.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

25 Jun 01 | UK Politics
'Wembley decision in eight weeks'
10 May 01 | UK Politics
Straw accused of Wembley 'cronyism'
01 May 01 | UK Politics
Uproar over Wembley 'fiasco'
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories