| You are in: World: Americas | ||||||||
|
|
Thursday, 26 July, 2001, 07:43 GMT 08:43 UK
US moves to lift Cuba travel sanctions
Havana let's go! But not until Mr Bush backs down
The US has moved closer to lifting restrictions on travel to Cuba for Americans.
Mr Bush wants to keep the restrictions at their current level until the communist authorities in Havana release many of their political prisoners. A similar measure to lift restrictions was overturned by the Senate last year, so Americans can put off packing their sunscreen for Cuba's beaches yet. The vote came as Cuba prepared to mark the 48th anniversary of President Fidel Castro's attack on the Moncada military barracks - the event which marked the beginning of the Cuban revolution and the end of US political influence in the country.
Restrictions have already been lifted on other communist countries, such as Vietnam, China and North Korea. Most members of the House of Representatives felt that the restrictions and other economic embargoes against Cuba had not done much to dislodge Cuban leader Fidel Castro or make other significant changes in the country's political system. Democrat William Delahunt said: "What we've done is erect our own Berlin Wall preventing the free travel of Americans. "It's time to tear the wall down." But some lawmakers said lifting the travel restrictions should be made contingent on Cuba releasing hundreds of political prisoners and returning fugitive US citizens.
Cuban authorities have urged one million people to march through the capital, Havana, to mark the Moncada anniversary. But the march is also being used to express a whole series of complaints over American policy towards Cuba. Top of the list is the call for the release of five Cubans recently convicted in Miami of spying. The Cuban Government calls them "patriots" who were working to uncover counter-revolutionary activities by the anti-Castro Cuban-American community in Florida. Cuba will also repeat its long-standing criticism of the 40-year US economic embargo against the communist island. US lawmakers rejected the full repeal of the trade embargo, which was eased last year to allow the sales of food and medicine. Earlier this week, President Castro called on the nation to treat this 16 July as one of the most important days of combat in their history. Castro challenge It was on that day in 1953 that a young Fidel Castro, his brother Raul and 150 followers attacked the Moncada military barracks in the east of the country. The attack was a failure, with half the combatants being killed, and Fidel and Raul captured. During his trial, Fidel Castro gave a speech entitled History Will Absolve Me which laid the foundations for his revolution. Six years later, the US-backed President Fulgencio Batista fled, and a triumphant Fidel Castro marched into Havana alongside his bearded revolutionaries. But after 42 years in power, he is constantly faced with the challenge of keeping his revolution alive and relevant to the Cuban people. This stage-managed march is the latest attempt to show both Washington and Cuba that President Castro is still very much in control.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Americas stories now:
Links to more Americas stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||
Links to more Americas stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|