| You are in: World: Europe | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Thursday, 26 July, 2001, 09:38 GMT 10:38 UK
Macedonia rebels 'withdrawing'
The new deal may allow refugees to go home
Ethnic Albanian rebels are reported to have started pulling back their forces in north-western Macedonia, in line with a Nato-brokered ceasefire deal.
The Nato deal is designed to reinstate an earlier ceasefire and allow the return of thousands of Macedonians who have been driven from their villages during four days of fighting.
A BBC correspondent says the diplomatic mission will try to get politicians from both sides to compromise, especially on the key issue of official recognition of the Albanian language.
'Killing and carnage' Lord Robertson said on his arrival at Skopje: "I am told that the withdrawal is under way. "I hope they will recognise that they have commitments that they have made and that everything here has got to be based on trust." Lord Robertson said he and Mr Solana realised the scale of what was at stake in their visit. "If we can help to get the negotiations back on track, then I hope we will save this country from the killing and carnage that has become the hallmark of Balkan civil wars," he said.
But despite the apparent renewal of the truce, a rebel commander near Tetovo warned that his forces might not be able to respect the ceasefire. Commandant Leka, a 35-year-old veteran of campaigns in neighbouring Kosovo, said his men had moved into nearby villages to protect ethnic Albanians because Macedonian residents had been given guns.
But the government warning of a renewed military campaign has apparently prompted thousands more people in a wider area to leave their homes. Roads out of Tetovo are reportedly jammed with scores of cars and buses packed with people and their hastily packed belongings heading for Skopje. "Enough is enough," said 60-year-old Milina Stavreva, a lifelong resident. "We can no longer live here."
The renewed fighting and skirmishes in and around Tetovo have inflamed the already dangerous mood in the country. Tensions boiled over into rioting in Skopje on Tuesday night when angry protesters forced their way into the parliament building before turning on Western embassies and organisations, which some Slavs accuse of supporting the Albanian rebels. For their part, Western diplomats are thought to be increasingly frustrated by hard-liners in the Macedonian Government stopping the peace process moving forward. In an attempt to redress the balance, President Boris Trajkovski issued a conciliatory statement on Wednesday, saying peace was only possible "in partnership with the international community".
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Europe stories now:
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Europe stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|