BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK: Scotland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Thursday, 26 July, 2001, 17:10 GMT 18:10 UK
No resolution in care dispute
Nurse with elderly woman
Thousands of elderly rely on private nursing homes
Crucial talks in a dispute over elderly care home fees have broken up without a resolution.

However, Scottish Care, which represents 800 private homes, has agreed not escalate its dispute while details of increases at council level are clarified.

Scottish Care had been threatening not to accept any further patients from next week if its demands for increased fees are not met. Chairman Joe Campbell said that although Thursday's meeting in Edinburgh had not involved more money, he was hopeful that a resolution could be found.

Elderly man in wheelchair
Homes want an extra £50 per week per resident
Scottish Care representatives met officials from the Scottish Executive and the Convention of Scottish Local Authorities (Cosla) to discuss promised extra funding of £17.5m.

Mr Campbell said: "I've always been hopeful that common sense will prevail.

"We had a good discussion today, but no more money on the table.

"It has got to be about money because we've been going backwards since 1993 in terms of income because no annual increments have matched inflation.

"The community care sector is an extremely expensive one and we've been moving backwards all the time.

"Today we thrashed out the basis for the £7.5m increase in funding this year and the £10m in funding next year.

'New money'

"We're not at all sure how that equates local authority by local authority.

"So, we have asked Cosla to find this out for us and we're coming back to a meeting on the 15th of August."

Cosla social work spokeswoman Rita Miller said: "The money that was on the table was £7.5m for the remainder of this year, and £10m for next year.

"This is new money.

"We're quite pleased that Scottish Care have stepped back from the brink.

Referrals refusal

"My understanding is that there is another meeting on 15 August and during the two weeks between now and the 15th there will be some work done at a local level in order that the offer at local level will be clarified, because, in fact, each individual care home does negotiations with each local authority."

Private care homes are already refusing to accept referrals by Aberdeen City Council.

Scottish Care members in the North and South Lanarkshire areas have also given their respective councils the required six months' notice before imposing the same restrictions.

See also:

24 Jul 01 | Scotland
'Disappointment' at care offer
11 Jun 01 | Health
Care home system 'could collapse'
31 May 01 | Scotland
Ultimatum over nursing home costs
29 May 01 | Scotland
Nursing homes issue funds warning
25 Jan 01 | Scotland
Executive in OAP care concession
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Scotland stories