| You are in: UK: Scotland | |||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, 25 July, 2001, 18:12 GMT 19:12 UK
Accused demands inquiry
Mr Cairns said the investigation was flawed
One of six men who walked free after sex abuse allegations against them were dropped has called for a "full public inquiry" into the case.
Peter Cairns expressed relief that the "nightmare" trial was over. But he said the investigation had been "seriously flawed" throughout and the six men had not been allowed the opportunity to properly clear their names. He read a statement outside the High Court in Edinburgh on behalf of all of the men after the court was told that the trial would not proceed.
However, the trial collapsed when the court was told that the boy could not continue with the ordeal of giving evidence. Addressing journalists outside the court, Mr Cairns said: "I am devastated at the way this case has come to an end today. "In June 2000 the lives of myself and my family were turned into a nightmare when I was charged with the worst possible crime - child abuse. "Fortunately throughout, my wife, family, friends and particularly those within the community of Ochiltree, Ayrshire have been very much behind me. "I believe the investigations were seriously flawed throughout, and all of us have been denied the opportunity to publicly state the facts. 'Innocent men' "That would have clearly shown that I am innocent of all these allegations." Mr Cairns said the children's allegations were "pure fantasy" and could have been easily disproved. He said: "Through my lawyer and my MSP I am calling for a full public inquiry to be launched into this whole affair. "I believe it is important that nothing like this should ever happen again. "Otherwise more innocent men could find themselves facing both personal and financial ruin. This cannot be allowed to happen." Defence counsel Stuart Gale QC also expressed "grave concerns" over the prosecution. He said: "The outcome of this case is highly unsatisfactory for all our clients, who have been denied the opportunity, which they genuinely desired, to have the allegations against them considered by a jury of their peers, and to present to that jury their own evidence and that of their various witnesses." |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Scotland stories now:
Links to more Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Scotland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|