BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: Entertainment: Music
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Showbiz 
Music 
Film 
Arts 
TV and Radio 
New Media 
Reviews 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Wednesday, 25 July, 2001, 07:58 GMT 08:58 UK
Ringo: Harrison is 'fine'
Ringo Starr
Starr: Paul or George would tell him anything serious
Ringo Starr has said former Beatles bandmate George Harrison was "fine" last time he saw him three weeks ago.

Starr told reporters he did not believe weekend media reports that Harrison was close to death, saying: "If he had been bad, he would have told me."

George and Olivia Harrison
George and Olivia Harrison: Denied reports
Harrison, 58, who has been treated for cancer three times, had said he was "disappointed and disgusted" by the reports.

Starr, Harrison and Sir Paul McCartney are also considering another compilation album of hits after the success of 1, the drummer told the Access Hollywood television show.

Guitarist Harrison was treated for a brain tumour last month and received treatment for lung cancer earlier this year and throat cancer in 1997.

Each time, he has claimed to have made a full recovery.


The news is real when either George tells me or Paul tells me

Ringo Starr
But the Mail on Sunday newspaper quoted the band's former producer Sir George Martin as saying Harrison was prepared to die "soon" - although Sir George later denied making the comments.

Starr told the TV show that the reports did not worry him.

"I didn't panic because I will wait until it becomes a reality," he said.

"The news is real when either George tells me or Paul tells me.

The Beatles
The surviving stars will discuss a new compilation
"We do that to each other. We say, 'Watch out, something's happened and they will be calling you'.

Harrison released a statement denying his imminent demise on Monday.

"The reports were unsubstantiated, untrue, insensitive and uncalled for," it said.

All Starr tour

Harrison, whose life was threatened when he was stabbed by an intruder in 1999, has blamed his health problems on smoking.

Starr is about to begin an American tour with his All Starr Band, which includes Greg Lake of Emerson, Lake and Palmer and Roger Hodgson of Supertramp.

He also told the show that the three surviving Beatles expect to discuss a 2 album later this year.

1 - which includes 27 of the band's hits - was the UK's best-selling album of 2000, and has topped the music charts in more than 34 countries since its release

See also:

09 Jul 01 | Music
Harrison calms health fears
03 May 01 | Entertainment
Ex-Beatle Harrison treated for cancer
30 Dec 99 | Music
The Beatles' separate paths
20 Aug 99 | Entertainment
Harrison guitar left gently weeping
16 Nov 00 | UK
Beatle's attacker 'insane'
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Music stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Music stories