| You are in: World: Asia-Pacific | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Wednesday, 25 July, 2001, 11:47 GMT 12:47 UK
Fresh lead in outback ambush case
Joanne Lees hit out at media who doubted her story
Australian police insist the girlfriend of a man who vanished following an ambush in the outback is not a suspect.
Joanne Lees, speaking in public for the first time since she and Peter Falconio, 28, were held-up on a remote Northern Territory road on 14 July, attacked sections of the media for casting doubt on her version of events. At a press conference in Alice Springs, she appealed to the man who attempted to abduct her and who possibly shot her boyfriend to reveal what had happened to him. Her statement came as police revealed they are investigating a similar incident in the area 18 months ago.
The man told the motorist: "I live on this road ... you've no idea what I get up to along here." A Northern Territory police spokeswoman confirmed that police were following up new information. Reading from a pre-prepared statement, Miss Lees, 27, said: "I am feeling positive and strong and believe it is only a matter of time now before the man responsible for what's happened to Pete and myself is caught.
"I am confident that Pete will be found." Flanked by Mr Falconio's brother, Paul, and local police commander Max Pope, Miss Lees asked for her privacy to be respected, and rounded on what she saw as doubts over her story in the media. "Anyone who has spoken to me or has been in contact with me - no-one doubts me.
Click here to see map of the outback
"It's only the media that have questioned my story."
She said she had been reluctant to meet the press before as she found it "overwhelming and intimidating".
Asked if she had a problem with the British press, she said: "I've a problem with all press that distort the truth and doubt my story, misquote me and make up false accusations and stories."
A 35-year-old man, arrested on Monday in Sydney, matched the description of the gunman, but his alibi makes it impossible for him to have been anywhere near the scene.
On Monday police lifted roadblocks which have been in place since shortly after the attack.
They said Mr Falconio's attacker could have found a way to get round the roadblocks, or left the area before they were put in place.
Miss Lees, from Almondbury, near Huddersfield in West Yorkshire, and Mr Falconio were attacked on the Stuart Highway on 14 July.
Outback ambush
The pair had stopped their camper van after a motorist claimed there was a problem with the vehicle.
Miss Lees said she heard what she thought was a gunshot moments after Mr Falconio got out of the van.
She said the mystery man then pulled her from the vehicle, tied her up and threw her into the back of his van.
Bound and gagged, Miss Lees managed to escape by crawling from the cabin through the opening.
She hid from the gunman for almost six hours before flagging down a passing truck and raising the alarm.
Mr Falconio has not been found, although his blood has been found at the scene.
Miss Lees said she had not yet decided how long she was going to stay in Alice Springs or in Australia.
|
See also:
Top Asia-Pacific stories now:
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|