| You are in: UK: Scotland | ||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, 24 July, 2001, 20:26 GMT 21:26 UK
Diver death inquiry launched
The men were diving near the Skye Bridge
The Royal Navy has confirmed that a body found near Kyle of Lochalsh was that of a diver who went missing on Tuesday morning.
A spokesman said that a full investigation had been launched into the incident. The dead man's identity is not being released until next of kin have been informed. The man was diving with a colleague at Loch na Beiste, near the Skye Bridge. When the diver who surfaced saw that his partner had not done likewise, he went back down to the bottom of the sea loch to search. A search mission, involving Coastguard helicopters and an unmanned submarine, was launched. A Royal Navy spokeswoman said she could not reveal the nature of the men's dive. Both were from the British Underwater Test and Evaluation Centre at Kyle of Lochalsh. Lieutenant Liz Hill said: "At 81 metres this was a deep dive, but it was well within the capability of the equipment that these men had."
|
See also:
Top Scotland stories now:
Links to more Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Scotland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|