BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Wednesday, 25 July, 2001, 13:42 GMT 14:42 UK
Green Goddess crews' busiest day
firefighters
Military firefighters faced their busiest 24 hours
Military crews in Merseyside have faced their busiest period since providing cover for striking firefighters.

They tackled 96 emergency calls between Monday and Tuesday evening, the first 24 hours of the latest walk-out by the Fire Brigade Union (FBU) in the region.

Talks to end the bitter dispute have broken up without resolution.

And union leaders have also affirmed their determination to go for a national strike if employers' leaders fail to meet their latest ultimatum.

strike march
Firefighters are threatening a national strike
The Merseyside union said it was planning a third eight-day strike to start only 24 hours after the current walk-out finishes next Tuesday.

Regional FBU chairman Neil Thompson said: "Firefighters and controls staff across the country have said they support us and will back us."

The union is demanding the chairman of the National Joint Council (NJC) - which governs pay and conditions within the service - supports the union's argument.

It has given the NJC until 3 August to make a decision in the dispute.

'Coped well'

More than 500 personnel from the Army, RAF and Royal Navy provide the crews for the 25 Green Goddesses on Merseyside.

A defence spokesman said: "The first 24 hours of the latest strike were the busiest we have had.

"However we coped well and we are getting used to providing the cover."

Incidents tackled by the military firefighters included two house fires. No-one was injured at either home.

Union leaders say Merseyside Fire Authority has ignored a NJC ruling over controversial plans to recruit civilian staff for post that were previously filled by "uniformed" officers.

Minority applicants

The union has rejected chief fire officer Malcolm Saunders's statement that the move would encourage more women and ethnic minority applicants.

FBU general secretary Andy Gilchrist said that should the National Joint Council fail to respond favourably, a meeting would be held in Liverpool on 3 August to call for "national industrial action in support of our Merseyside members".

Mr Gilchrist said the national executive of the FBU, which has 50,000 members nationwide, had discussed both the Merseyside dispute and its national dimensions during its meeting in Liverpool.

Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories