BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Tuesday, 24 July, 2001, 13:08 GMT 14:08 UK
NI man in Sri Lanka curfew
Plume of smoke rises from airport
Northern Ireland man worked at Colombo airport
A Belfast man has been describing the tense atmosphere in Sri Lanka following a night raid by rebel Tamil Tiger guerillas on the island's main airport.

David Little is employed by Shorts in Belfast and is based at Colombo airport.

The attack before dawn on Tuesday claimed the lives of at least 12 people, with 47 British tourists escaping to safety.

Mr Little said he got a phone call to his room by a colleague telling him of the attack.

"I got a call from a Rolls Royce representative at about six o'clock saying 'make no move, stay where you are, because the LPP, the Tamil Tigers have launched an offensive against the airport', and the attack was going on as he was speaking to me.

"The curfew that was imposed after this attack extended not only to where we are, but another 10km further, so within a radius of about 30km, nobody was supposed to move.


After 30 years of going through it in Northern Ireland you just learn not to go to places where you shouldn't be

David Little

"We were told to stay absolutely where we were, take no risks, don't go anywhere," he said.

"The news bulletin I was listening to on local radio said the police and the army had everything under control."

Mr Little said that because of his experiences of living in Belfast during the Troubles, there was "no chance of me going anywhere near it".

"After 30 years of going through it in Northern Ireland you just learn not to go to places where you shouldn't be."

Tracer bullets

The Britons, who were waiting for connecting flights, had to run for their lives out of the terminal building as mortar flashes and tracer bullets lit up the runway.

A spokesman for the British foreign office said they all escaped injury.

Britons are advised not to attempt to travel to the airport.

It was not clear on Tuesday when the airport would re-open but tourists were advised to keep in touch with their tour operators, airline or the high commission itself.

All flights from the airport have been suspended, while incoming flights have been diverted to the southern Indian city of Madras and the Maldives as well as destinations in the Middle East.

Varada Kumar, executive secretary of London's Tamil Information Centre, told BBC News Online there had been no switch in Tamil Tiger tactics to targeting foreign tourists.

"The Tigers have never targeted foreigners and that has been confirmed by several other governments.

"Even in this attack there was no injury to any foreigners and it was a major military success for the Tigers.

"The operation was targeted to destroy the air fleet which often bombed the Tamil area."

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
David Little in Sri Lanka
"We were told to stay absolutely where we were, take no risks, go nowhere"
See also:

24 Jul 01 | UK
'All hell broke loose'
01 Jul 01 | South Asia
Senior Tamil Tiger killed
05 Jun 01 | South Asia
Tamil Tiger ambush kills six
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories