BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Tuesday, 24 July, 2001, 11:50 GMT 12:50 UK
US-Japan in talks on US forces
Anti-US protests on Okinawa
Anti-US feeling on Okinawa has been growing
The US Secretary of State, Colin Powell, has said there is "no need" to revise a pact with Japan over the treatment of US military personnel suspected of crimes.

The agreement came under strain earlier this month over custody of a US airman accused of raping a Japanese woman on the southern island of Okinawa.


We understand the Okinawan people's desire for a reduced footprint

Colin Powell
The US presence on Okinawa has raised persistent concerns among local people, with two other servicemen handed over to prosecutors on Sunday on separate vandalism charges.

During a brief trip to Tokyo on Tuesday, Mr Powell did say the US would have new talks to try to reduce the impact of the US troops.

He said he would not rule anything out, including a possible reduction in the 25,000 troops on Okinawa.

Standoff

Opponents of the US military presence on Okinawa have been demanding changes to the Status of Forces Agreement between Japan and the US that would force base authorities to surrender suspects to Japanese police more quickly.

American Village
The alleged rape took place in this car park
US military officials did not hand over its airman until four days after an arrest warrant was issued, arguing they wanted guarantees that his rights would be respected. Japanese authorities reportedly agreed to limits on how long the 24-year-old suspect would be questioned.

The delay angered many Japanese people who took it as an insult to the nation's justice system.

But Mr Powell, speaking after a meeting with Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi, said the US government was satisfied with the way the incident was handled.

"We see no need to change the Status of Forces Agreement," he said. "It worked in this instance."

New talks

Mr Powell said the new US ambassador to Japan, former Senator Howard Baker, would travel to Okinawa in the next few days to discuss how to "minimize the impact" of the US troops.

US Secretary of State Colin Powell
Colin Powell is on a tour of Asian nations
But he ruled out a complete withdrawal of US troops from the island.

Following the visit to Tokyo, Mr Powell flew to Hanoi, his first trip to Vietnam since serving in the Vietnam War more than 30 years ago.

He is due to attend a meeting of foreign ministers of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) and security partners.

See also:

06 Jul 01 | Asia-Pacific
Okinawa rape suspect under arrest
05 Jul 01 | Asia-Pacific
Japan pressures US over rape suspect
04 Jul 01 | Asia-Pacific
Temperatures rise in Okinawa rape case
02 Jul 01 | Asia-Pacific
Okinawa dogs Japan-US relations
06 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
Okinawa: Island of resentment
30 Jun 01 | Asia-Pacific
Tough agenda for Japan-US summit
30 Jun 01 | Asia-Pacific
Japan rape report worries US
19 Jan 01 | Asia-Pacific
Okinawa urges US troops cutback
13 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
Okinawa marine sought on arson charges
06 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
E-mail provokes Okinawa fury
06 Jul 01 | Asia-Pacific
Okinawa: No easy solution
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories