| You are in: UK | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, 25 July, 2001, 10:16 GMT 11:16 UK
Call to suspend 'video assault' officer
![]() PCA head says the officer should have been suspended
The head of the Police Complaints Authority has said a police force was wrong not to suspend an officer caught on film hitting an apparently defenceless man.
West Yorkshire Police have withdrawn the officer from duties which bring him into contact with the public after the incident. But Sir Alistair Graham, who is chairman of the Police Complaints Authority, said the officer should have been suspended. Chris Wilson, 26, who is seen being struck in the video footage, is now suing for assault, false arrest and wrongful imprisonment.
The officer's colleague, who saw the incident, has also been withdrawn from duties. A spokesman for West Yorkshire Police declined to comment further on the matter. The force had issued a statement on Tuesday saying: "Officers have been withdrawn from duties which mean bringing them into contact with the public." The video was shot by music student Mark Goodwin, 21, who said: "I was in shock for about two hours. My fingers were still shaking.
"I remember hearing the crack of the first punch. I can remember feeling it for the lad, I kind of said 'ouch' for him." The video does not show events leading up to the alleged attack but a second officer can be seen looking on. 'Formal complaint' Mr Goodwin, who lived opposite when the incident happened last month, added: "When it stopped I hid back from the window so they couldn't see me. "I was just being careful to make sure that I kept out of sight." A spokesman for West Yorkshire Police said: "A formal complaint has been received about this incident. "It is being investigated by our discipline and complaints department, who have voluntarily referred the matter to the Police Complaints Authority and inquiries are under way." Mr Wilson, an unemployed joiner, was held overnight in a police cell and charged with being drunk and disorderly. The charge was dropped a few days later.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top UK stories now:
Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more UK stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|