BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Entertainment: TV and Radio
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Showbiz 
Music 
Film 
Arts 
TV and Radio 
New Media 
Reviews 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



TV Columnist Mike Ward
"Survivor was a little bit intense, it just lacked humour"
 real 28k

Tuesday, 24 July, 2001, 10:57 GMT 11:57 UK
Survivor women vie for £1m prize
Charlotte Hobrough (left) and Jackie Carey
Jackie or Charlotte will walk away with £1m
Two women, Charlotte Hobrough and Jackie Carey, will vie for the £1m prize on offer to the winner of ITV's reality TV programme, Survivor.

The pair are the final two contestants on the show after Richard Owens and Mick Easton were seen leaving the island on Monday.

Richard
Richard: "I never thought about the £1m"
They lost out when the two women made an alliance to ensure their place in the final.

On Wednesday the two women will find out which of them has won the £1m prize.

Praised

A jury made up of those previously voted off the island has already cast its vote for the eventual winner, as the show was recorded months ago - but the results will not be made known until Wednesday in a live TV special.

Sixteen contestants were originally stranded on the island in the South China Sea and week by week contestants have been voted off the island.

ITV was hoping the programme would be a ratings success but poor audience figures forced the broadcaster to reduce the number of episodes to one a week.

Speaking to reporters in London on Monday, Richard and Mick both praised the way the two women had played the game.

Mick said: "Charlotte is a far cleverer person than I first realised and she has played the game exceptionally well."



Richard said he was not bitter despite seeing Jackie break a long-standing alliance the pair had forged.

"In my heart of hearts, at the end of the day, either of them would have been foolhardy to take me through to the final."

He added: "I don't think once throughout the programme I said I was out there for the £1m.

"I desperately, desperately wanted to spend the whole 40 days and nights there."

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

23 Feb 01 | Entertainment
Pig row hits Survivor
27 Mar 01 | TV and Radio
Fury at Australian Survivor bill
07 Feb 01 | Entertainment
Survivor loser sues creator
21 Feb 01 | Entertainment
Survivor creators sue contestant
10 Jan 01 | Entertainment
Storm on Temptation Island
23 Dec 00 | Entertainment
The year of reality TV
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more TV and Radio stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more TV and Radio stories