BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: South Asia
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Monday, 23 July, 2001, 16:17 GMT 17:17 UK
WHO confirms Afghanistan cholera outbreak
The World Health Organisation says a cholera epidemic in northern Afghanistan has killed 56 people since it began some three weeks ago.

A WHO spokeswoman, Laranona Graber, said a team had just returned from Balkh province and had confirmed nearly 1,000 cases of disease so far.

She told the BBC that the death rate had dropped once the WHO team was operational, adding that many of the victims were children and old people.

Another team has gone to the area.

The heart of the outbreak is in the Agkupruk district of Balkh - close to the frontline where Taleban and opposition forces are fighting for control of the province.

Dr Graber said some cholera cases had also been reported in the western province of Herat.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories