| You are in: UK: Wales | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Monday, 23 July, 2001, 18:09 GMT 19:09 UK
Fury at farm clean-up delay
![]() Interest payments for culled animals date back four months
There has been an angry reaction to the news that a government clampdown on disinfecting farms affected by foot-and-mouth disease will apply in Wales.
In the latest outbreak around Crickhowell in Powys - the latest of which was confirmed on Monday afternoon - up to 27 farms will not be cleaned until a review of the escalating costs is carried out. It has prompted fears that the disease could flare up again and businesses dependent on tourism are accusing the government of sending out the wrong message.
A memo issued by the government's co-ordination centre set up to tackle the disease revealed that Prime Minister Tony Blair had personally demanded a check on "unacceptable" spending. "This will leave hundreds of farmers in limbo, on empty farms, unable to re-stock because they have not been through the final cleansing and disinfecting process," said President of NFU Cymru Hugh Richards. Meanwhile a Tory Assembly Member and farmer affected by the outbreak is taking legal action against Wales's rural affairs minister over late compensation payments. Mr Rogers, the Conservative agriculture spokesman in the Welsh Assembly, said his decision to take Mr Jones to court had been taken to highlight the plight of many hard-pressed farmers.
"There is so much unpaid compensation owed to farmers that is destroying the industry." In February, Mr Jones met with farmers in Caernarfon to propose a preventative cull on Anglesey, and it was agreed under certain conditions. But Mr Rogers said he did not accept the valuation should take place off his farm in the slaughterhouse, creating a dispute over the value of animals. Now Mr Rogers wants to recover interest on late payment of compensation for slaughtered livestock on 2 April. The north Wales AM has instructed his solicitors to issue the rural affairs minister with a seven-day Notice of Intention for non-payment.
Mr Rogers said he had received a cheque for the original valuation, but not the interest covering a period of four months. "When he ordered the preventative cull on Anglesey he promised compensation within three weeks - here we are four months down the line and a cheque turns up only after threatening legal action against him. "This is unacceptable - farmers in Wales are sick of Carwyn Jones' false promises. "His failure to address the problems being faced by farmers has compounded the devastation wrought by foot-and-mouth and has damaged the future prospects of our industry." |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Wales stories now:
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Wales stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|