| You are in: World: Europe | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Monday, 23 July, 2001, 13:03 GMT 14:03 UK
'No breakthrough' on missile shield
![]() No breakthrough: But progress was made says Putin (left)
Russian President Vladimir Putin has said there was no breakthrough on US plans for missile defence in his talks with President Bush in Genoa.
The two presidents said on Sunday they had agreed to link the issue of missile defence with talks on strategic arms reduction. Mr Bush also said the US did not want to unilaterally abrogate the 1972 Anti Ballistic Missile (ABM) Treaty, which imposes strict limits on the development of missile defence systems. This was widely viewed as a significant concession by President Bush to Russian objections to US plans for missile defence. Arms cuts The US has previously insisted that it will go ahead with its missile defence plans regardless of foreign opposition, and that it will violate the ABM treaty if Russia does not quickly agree to changes.
The question of further cuts in strategic arms has been on the US-Russian talks agenda for some years - though more recently President Bush had suggested that the US would make unilateral reductions. Russian reaction Russian analysts were divided on Monday about the significance of the Genoa agreement.
However, defence specialist Pavel Felgenhauer told the BBC that Mr Putin had agreed only to "consultations" not "negotiations". "Russia does not want to negotiate a deal and is not ready for a compromise," he said. "The Kremlin is manoeuvring itself into a position where no matter what the US does it will be seen by many in the world as doing the wrong thing." Amending ABM Mr Putin has often warned that if the US breaches the ABM Treaty, Russia will tear up all other arms-control agreements, and he said on Sunday that that remained an option. "We confirmed our adherence to the ABM treaty as the cornerstone of strategic stability," he said on Monday.
Mr Putin's advisor on strategic issues, former Defence Minister Igor Sergeyev, was reported to have hinted last week that negotiations on a new ABM treaty could begin soon. The Russian army's head of international co-operation, Colonel-General Leonid Ivashov - a renowned hawk - said last month that Moscow was open to possible amendments. Mr Bush's national security adviser, Condoleezza Rice, will travel to Moscow on Tuesday to begin discussions on strategic issues. In 1997, then US President Bill Clinton and Russian President Boris Yeltsin agreed in principle that a follow-up to the Start 2 treaty should drop the numbers to 2,000 or 2,500. Mr Putin has suggested 1,500 warheads each would be adequate.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Europe stories now:
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Europe stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|