BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



BBC NI's security correspondent Brian Rowan:
"There is no indication of progress being made toward actual decommissioning"
 real 28k

Wednesday, 30 May, 2001, 12:35 GMT 13:35 UK
Fresh IRA arms inspection
The IRA have not handed over any weapons
The IRA have not handed over any weapons
A fresh inspection of IRA arms dumps has been carried out by international weapons inspectors.

The inspections have come following renewed contact between the International Commission on Decomissioning and the IRA.

Commission chief General John de Chastelain made the announcement on Wednesday.

A statement by inspectors Marti Ahtisaari and Cyril Ramaphosa said they were happy that contact with the IRA would continue.


We remain confident that they (weapons) cannot be used without our detection

Marti Ahtisaari and Cyril Ramaphosa

"The IRA has once again fully honoured their commitments and complied with the terms of our engagement, and we are convinced that this type of co-operation will continue."

The re-inspection had been expected earlier this year.

General de Chastelain said this third inspection had been delayed due to recent foot-and-mouth restrictions.

The report confirmed the dumps that were inspected "had not been tampered with and that they have remained secure".

"We observed that the weapons and explosives continued to be safely and adequately stored.

"We remain confident that they cannot be used without our detection."

Sec of State
John Reid: "Positive report"

Secretary of State John Reid has welcomed the announcement.

"I welcome this further inspection of IRA weapons and positive report by Marti Ahtisaari and Cyril Ramaphosa.

"My hope is that the contacts which resumed in March between the IICD will also soon enable General de Chastelain to report significant progress on the putting of IRA weapons fully and verifiably beyond use."

The Irish government said the report gave optimism to the future of co-operation between the IRA and the decommissioning body.

"The IRA has once again fully honoured their commitments and complied with the terms of our engagement and we are convinced that this co-operation will continue."

Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams welcomed the development as "a positive contribution to the process".

He also said he thought that the "weapons issue would be resolved" and that his party was "commited to taking the gun out of Irish politics".

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE

Analysis

Background

Profiles

SPECIAL REPORTS
See also:

08 May 01 | Northern Ireland
Trimble resignation 'absolute disaster'
08 May 01 | Northern Ireland
Trimble threat sets campaign tone
08 Mar 01 | Northern Ireland
IRA in contact with arms body
26 Oct 00 | Northern Ireland
IRA arms dumps re-visited
25 Mar 01 | Northern Ireland
IRA guns 'still expected by June'
01 May 01 | Northern Ireland
Adams: Republicans 'frustrated' by ban
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories