BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: South Asia
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Wednesday, 30 May, 2001, 12:00 GMT 13:00 UK
UN threat to Afghan operations
Afghans queue in Kabul
Many Afghans depend on the UN for essential supplies
The UN has warned that it may have to close down its aid programmes in Afghanistan because of increasing harassment from foreign militants who have joined the Taleban.


If we don't speak out, it will only get worse.

UN Co-ordinator Erik de Mul
The UN Co-ordinator for Afghanistan, Erik de Mul, told journalists in neighbouring Pakistan that if harassment continued, then the UN would have no choice but to suspend its operations.

"The ball is in their (Taleban) court to come to terms with reality," he said.

The UN provides aid to hundreds of thousands of Afghans displaced by civil conflict and severe drought.

Abusive behaviour

Mr De Mul said the operational space for UN workers in Afghanistan was getting smaller and smaller, and they were being subjected to threats from what he called "foreign guests" of the Taleban.

Taleban militia
The UN says foreign fighters are abusing them
He said men from the Gulf, North Africa and elsewhere routinely harassed international staff.

"They are harassing our workers and gesturing at them and using abusive language," he said.

He said they mimed cutting people's throats whenever they saw any foreign aid workers and used seriously abusive language to women.

He added that aid workers had been advised to keep a low profile and not walk in the streets.

Mr de Mul said they never experienced such behaviour from Afghans and he believed the Taleban Foreign Minister, Wakil Ahmed Mutawakkil, had taken the complaints seriously.

Later, Mr Mutawakkil said the Taleban would not allow what he called their foreign guests to harass other visitors.

He said that international aid workers often suspected foreign militants of being terrorists while other Muslims often suspected the aid workers of being spies. Food survey row

The BBC's Afghanistan correspondent, Kate Clark, says that the behaviour of the Taleban's religious police is also an issue as they have recently arrested several Afghans working for the UN and raided two NGO clinics and a hospital.

On Tuesday, Mr De Mul left Kabul after several days of talks with Taleban ministers.

They failed to resolve a row over a food survey, for which the UN wants to use women workers.

It says it wants to use local women in order to interview families and find out who is most in need.

The Taleban have banned women from working outside the home.

If the row is not resolved, the UN says it will close down its bakeries in Kabul, affecting nearly 300,000 people.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

29 May 01 | South Asia
Afghan UN bread talks fail
16 Aug 00 | South Asia
Taleban shuts women's bakeries
28 Jun 00 | South Asia
Annan: Kabul's grim future
20 Jul 00 | South Asia
Ban on Afghan women to stay
11 Jan 00 | South Asia
Afghanistan: Women under Taleban rule
03 Aug 98 | South Asia
Analysis: Who are the Taleban?
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories