| You are in: World: Asia-Pacific | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Wednesday, 30 May, 2001, 10:34 GMT 11:34 UK
US offers help in hostage crisis
![]() The rebels arrived on two gunboats and seized the hostages
The US has offered to help solve the Philippines hostage crisis in which 20 people, including three Americans, were seized from a luxury beach resort in the south of the country.
As Philippines troops searched dozens of islands in the south, US officials called on President Gloria Arroyo to discuss the crisis.
Officials did not provide details of how the US could assist, but said that intelligence gathering rather than military aid would be given. Bargaining refused The Philippines Government has deployed troops to find the hostages, who were seized by Abu Sayyaf gunmen from the Dos Palmas resort in Palawan island. Mrs Arroyo has refused to bargain with the hostage-takers, vowing to destroy the Abu Sayyaf.
But the rebels said they would not "think twice" about a mass killing of the hostages if a military offensive was launched. The Muslim separatist group reportedly received millions of dollars in a ransom payment last year in another high-profile hostage crisis, where foreign tourists were held for several months. They reportedly bought bazookas, mortars and Uzi assault rifles - as well as fast speedboats - with the money. Belongings recovered Troops recovered some personal items of hostages from Mapun island - also known as Cawagan de Tawi-Tawi - where some hostages were spotted. A bank card and an Olympus camera were among the items recovered, military officials said.
Most of those seized from the resort in Palawan were ethnic Chinese Filipino tourists. Three Americans - Kansas-born missionary Martin Burnham and his wife, and Guillermo Sobero from California - as well as four resort staff were among those seized. Jolo tense Authorities were checking reports that the hostage-takers had landed in Jolo, a rebel base island in the Sulu group, military officials said.
However, information about rebel and troop movements has been limited, due to a media blackout on the crisis. The Philippines Government is also offering a reward of just under US $2m for information leading to the arrest of leaders and members of the group that carried out the kidnapping. A government spokesman said $100,000 would be given to anyone who provided information leading to the capture of Abu Sayyaf leaders and $20,000 to anyone who helped capture lower-ranking members of the group. |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Asia-Pacific stories now:
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|