BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Wednesday, 30 May, 2001, 13:10 GMT 14:10 UK
Man remanded on grenade charge

Mr McNulty covers his head as he enters the court
A 37-year-old County Tyrone man has been remanded in custody in connection with a grenade attack in Strabane on 26 May.

Martin Joseph McNulty, a taxi driver from St Colman's Drive, appeared before Strabane Magistrates Court on Wednesday.

He was charged with withholding information about the attempted murder of security forces in the Bowling Green and Barrack Street area between the May 26 and 29.

A rocket containing more than 1lb of the explosive, Semtex was abandoned at the RUC station on Barrack Street just before midnight on 26 May, after it misfired.

Dissidents tried to attack Strabane RUC station
Attacked: Strabane RUC station

The device was defused by bomb disposal experts after it was discovered by a passing police patrol.

No-one was injured in the attack and no damage was caused.

Twelve homes were evacuated during the clear-up operation which finished at 0500 BST on Sunday.

A detective constable said Mr McNulty made no reply when the charge was put to him at Strabane RUC station on Tuesday.

The detective agreed with the defence solicitor that Martin Joseph McNulty had gone voluntarily to the police station.

He said that during interviews with detectives, Mr McNulty had made clear twice that his car had been hijacked.

He also said he had been threatened and a gun was pointed at his head.

Mr McNulty told police that the armed and masked gang told him they knew him and where he was from.

He was remanded in custody until the 7th of June.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

27 May 01 | Northern Ireland
Dissidents attack RUC station
18 May 01 | Northern Ireland
Dissidents attack NI army base
23 Jan 01 | Northern Ireland
Dissidents behind bomb attack
04 Mar 01 | Northern Ireland
Dissident republicans: Terror threat
21 Jan 01 | Northern Ireland
Booby-trap bomb found at RUC station
03 Apr 01 | Northern Ireland
Army defuses NI car bomb
Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories