| You are in: UK: Northern Ireland | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Wednesday, 30 May, 2001, 06:37 GMT 07:37 UK
'Organ relatives' urged to give evidence
![]() Hundreds of organs were retained in Northern Ireland
Relatives of people affected by the retention of human organs have been urged to give evidence to an inquiry into the scandal.
Pip Jaffa, chairperson of the Relatives Reference Group, said parents should come forward and raise their concerns. The inquiry team was set up by Northern Ireland Health Minister Bairbre De Brun after concerns about organ retention by several hospitals without the permission of parents and families. The minister also set up the reference group to help resolve problems arising from organ retention. Information relayed Ms Jaffa said the reference group would work alongside the inquiry team.
"We have a very important role to play in addressing the many concerns that relatives have about human organ retention," she said. "The information from relatives will be relayed to the inquiry and will be used by them in the discussions they will be having with hospitals to help improve the existing practices about organ removal, retention and disposal. "It is essential that we hear from as many parents, relatives and others who have a contribution to make and I would ask them to contact the group. "This is your opportunity to make a difference," she said. The group is to hold a series of meetings across Northern Ireland.
Earlier this month, the lawyer heading the inquiry into the retention of organs also urged those affected to have their say.
Queen's Counsel John O'Hara said he would be seeking information from hospitals in Northern Ireland about previous practices in the health service involving organ retention after post mortem examinations.
"I also want to hear from any individual or organisation who wants to make a contribution - particularly from parents or other relatives who have been affected by this practice," he said.
Hundreds of organs "I would like you to tell the inquiry what happened, how it affected you or your family and what you would like to see happen in the future," Mr O'Hara added. He said many families would have difficulty in testifying to the inquiry and that his officials had prepared a questionnaire. Hundreds of organs were retained by the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast and Altnagelvin Hospital in Londonderry. The inquiry will have the power to summon witnesses and access documents.
It will then provide a report to the minister within 12 months.
The other members of the inquiry panel will be deputy director of the Centre for Childcare Research, Eithne McLaughlin, and Paddy Kelly, director of the Children's Law Centre. Earlier this year, Ms de Brun said the retention of organs by Northern Ireland hospitals was totally unacceptable and "must never happen again".
The Department of Health and Social Services has sent out questionnaires to all hospitals who carry out, or who have carried out, post mortem examinations to find out how many organs are still retained. The hospital trusts were also asked about the people who had access to these organs and for what purpose.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Northern Ireland stories now:
Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Northern Ireland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|