BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK: England
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Monday, 8 October, 2001, 06:42 GMT 07:42 UK
Shipman public inquiry re-opens
The public inquiry into serial killings by Harold Shipman is resuming at Manchester Town Hall.

Headed by Dame Janet Smith, the inquiry will continue its investigations into the deaths of at least 407 patients of the former Hyde GP.

The proceedings will now focus on deaths which took place while Shipman worked at the Market Street Surgery in Hyde, the nearby Donneybrook practice, and at Todmorden in West Yorkshire.

Before its summer break, the inquiry heard evidence in a total of 71 cases, including the deaths of 15 women for which Shipman was convicted.

A further 336 cases are due to be heard at the Town Hall before the end of the inquiry's first phase, expected to be at Christmas.


Soldier killed in Cyprus accident

A soldier from Merseyside has been killed in a road accident in Cyprus.

Lance Corporal Jason Leo Taylor died on the Famagusta to Dhekelia road, near a village called Xylaphagu.

The 26-year-old, who came from South Wirral and served with the Cheshire Regiment, was travelling in a private car with another soldier when the accident happened on Thursday.

Both men were off duty and no other vehicles were believed to be involved.

The Cheshire Regiment is on a two-year posting to the Mediterranean island.


Concern grows over missing man

Merseyside Police is becoming increasingly concerned for the welfare of a 35-year-old man who has gone missing from a brain dependency unit.

David Melia has not been seen since Wednesday.

Mr Melia had been living at the Radford Court Brain Injury Dependance Unit in Toxteth following a road accident.

He is described 5 ft 5 in (1.67 metres) tall, white and slim, with short dark brown hair.


Nuclear protestors escape conviction

The second trial of two nuclear protestors who damaged a Trident submarine in Barrow docks has ended without a verdict.

Rachel Wenham, 19, from Leeds, and Rosie James, 26, from London, have been told the case will not be pursued any further.

Their first trial in January 2000 was halted when the judge ruled that items of evidence needed to be re-assessed.

After four hours' deliberation at Manchester Crown Court, the jury failed to reach a verdict.


Prison officer wins case

A female prison officer who worked at Risley jail in Warrington has won a sex discrimination case against the Prison Service.

Nina Mold, 49, from Tyldesley near Wigan brought the action claiming she had suffered months of victimisation from male colleagues.

Mrs Mold told the hearing she had been subjected to a string of malicious pranks.

A decision on her compensation will be made in November.

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories