BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Middle East
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



British journalist Gary Knight
talks about his kidnap ordeal
 real 28k

Tuesday, 29 May, 2001, 15:50 GMT 16:50 UK
Journalists released in Middle East
Fatah Hawks
Fatah Hawks warn more Britons could be kidnapped
A British photographer and an American journalist have been released after being detained by Palestinian group the Fatah Hawks.

The pair were held for five hours in south Gaza, along with a local translator and driver.

The group said the kidnapping was a protest against the British and US Governments, who they accuse of supporting the Israeli government led by Ariel Sharon.


They were very cool, there was no violence or aggression. They were almost apologetic

Gary Knight
It has warned that other British and American citizens in Palestinian areas may be kidnapped or killed in the future.

The official Fatah movement has condemned the action and disassociated itself from the incident. It has said it will investigate what happened.

Photographer Gary Knight told the BBC that no-one had been harmed or mistreated during the incident.

He said he and his colleague, Joshua Hammer, chief of Newsweek's Jerusalem bureau, had arranged an interview with the Fatah Hawks for midday on Tuesday and after about an hour of talking they were informed they had been kidnapped.

"They said the kidnap was largely symbolic," he said.

'Message to Blair'

"It was to send a message to Bush and Blair that they held them responsible for the situation of the Palestinian people and once that message had been broadcast we would be released.

"We were kept in a room. They fed us and provide us with drinks and cigarettes. They were very cool, there was no violence or aggression. They were almost apologetic.

"They seemed very upset that elements of the Western media, particularly the American media, portrayed the Palestinians in a very negative light and the Israelis in a very positive light. They wanted to make that point."

Trouble has been raging in the Middle East for the past eight months.

Talks

Since fighting erupted last September, 478 people have been killed on the Palestinian side and 85 on the Israeli side.

Israelis and Palestinians agreed to resume talks on security issues on Tuesday - the first talks since April.

Since the resumption of talks was announced, an Israeli civilian has been killed in the West Bank.

Israeli approval for plans for 710 new homes in Jewish settlements around Jerusalem and the West Bank has also sparked fury among Palestinians.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

29 May 01 | Middle East
Settler homes snub to Palestinians
27 May 01 | Middle East
In pictures: Jerusalem bomb blasts
27 May 01 | Middle East
Analysis: US back in Middle East mire
26 May 01 | From Our Own Correspondent
Middle East's circle of despair
27 May 01 | Middle East
Analysis: Muslim states and Israel
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Middle East stories