BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: South Asia
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Tuesday, 29 May, 2001, 13:02 GMT 14:02 UK
Afghan UN bread talks fail
Afghan women shopping
Women are not allowed to work outside the home
Talks between the Taleban authorities in Afghanistan and the United Nations over food distribution have broken up without any agreement, according to the UN.


That's the bottom line - women will have to be involved.

UN Co-ordinator Erik de Mul
The UN Co-ordinator for Afghanistan, Erik de Mul, said there had been no breakthrough on the issue of using women to conduct a food survey in Kabul.

The UN agency, the World Food Programme, has threatened to close the bakeries it runs in the capital unless the Taleban allows a survey to be conducted to assess those most in need of aid.

The WFP says it needs to hire Afghan women to conduct the survey, but the Taleban refuses to allow the UN to hire local women.

Vulnerable group

Mr De Mul said there it was important to use women to conduct the survey because they were the most vulnerable group in Afghan society.

Taleban fighters
The Taleban follow a strict interpretation of Islam
"That's the bottom line - women will have to be involved," he said.

Mr De Mul, who was due to leave for neighbouring Pakistan, said talks on the issue would continue.

In Afghanistan's conservative culture, male researchers would not be able to enter other people's homes.

Strict orders

But the Taleban says it is not Islamic for women to work outside the home.

The Taleban Planning Minister Sadudin Saeed said after the talks on Tuesday that they had received strict orders from supreme leader Mullah Mohammad Omar about employing women.

"According to (Mullah Omar's) decree, the UN and other non-governmental organisations can't hire women," he said.

Nearly 300,000 people will be affected if the WFP suspends its food programme in Kabul.

One suggestion put forward by the Taleban to resolve the bakery issue was to hire foreign, rather than Afghan, women.

The UN says that is not a workable solution because it says there are simply not enough foreign women who speak Persian and Pashtu.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

27 May 01 | South Asia
Afghans threatened with no bread
16 Aug 00 | South Asia
Taleban shuts women's bakeries
28 Jun 00 | South Asia
Annan: Kabul's grim future
20 Jul 00 | South Asia
Ban on Afghan women to stay
11 Jan 00 | South Asia
Afghanistan: Women under Taleban rule
03 Aug 98 | South Asia
Analysis: Who are the Taleban?
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories