BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Tuesday, 29 May, 2001, 15:17 GMT 16:17 UK
Victim's family pin hopes on extradition
Malta protest
Last year campaigners picketed the Maltese High Commission
The family of a Briton murdered while on holiday in Istanbul three years ago believe that a suspect has come one step closer to appearing in court.

Edgar Fernandes, a 37-year-old librarian from Hackney, east London, disappeared while on holiday in Turkey in April 1998.

His alleged killer, Mohammed Abdul Abbas Aly, was arrested in Malta several months later after being found in possession of Mr Fernades' passport and credit card.

Interpol had traced him using credit card records.

Edgar Fernandes
Edgar Fernandes was murdered while on holiday in 1998
Mr Abbas Aly initially confessed to the murder, but later retracted his confession.

Turkish police asked for Mr Abbas Aly, who is Egyptian, to be extradited to Istanbul but the Maltese authorities declined because Turkey still has the death penalty as the ultimate sentence for murder.

Turkey has had a moratorium on executions for the last 18 years but the Maltese authorities still refused to extradite Mr Abbas Aly.

The impasse lasted for several months and the Fernandes family feared at one point that Mr Abbas Aly would be freed and allowed to return home to Egypt.


I have always been opposed to the death penalty. All I ever wanted was justice

Genny Fernandes
But Mr Fernandes' sister, Genny, told BBC News Online she had been informed, within the last few days, that the Maltese authorities had received an assurance from the Turks that Mr Abbas Aly would not be executed if found guilty of murder.

A final decision on extradition will be made by a judge in the Maltese capital, Valletta, on 6 June.

Ms Fernandes said: "We are hoping the judge will decide that the extradition can take place and that will be a huge hurdle we have jumped."

She said she understood that once extradited, Mr Abbas Aly - who was convicted of passport and credit card fraud in relation to Mr Fernandes' documents - may go on trial in Istanbul within weeks.

Genny Fernandes
Genny Fernandes: "We will have cleared a major hurdle"
Ms Fernandes welcomed the latest turn of events and stressed that she had never sought the death penalty in the event of someone being convicted of killing her brother.

"I have always been opposed to the death penalty. All I ever wanted was justice," she said.

The death penalty is a sensitive matter in Turkey.

In 1999 Kurdish guerrilla leader Abdullah Ocalan was sentenced to death in 1999 after being extradited from Italy.

Politicians inside Turkey continue to argue over whether to carry out the execution in view of pressure from the European Union, which is opposed to the death sentence.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

14 Jan 00 | Europe
Ocalan hails execution reprieve
23 May 00 | Europe
Ocalan health 'fades'
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories