| You are in: World: Asia-Pacific | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Tuesday, 29 May, 2001, 06:28 GMT 07:28 UK
Philippine rebels threaten hostages
![]() The government has ruled out any deal with the rebels
Abu Sayyaf Muslim rebels holding 20 hostages abducted from a tourist resort in the south of the Philippines have threatened "mass killings" if the army moves against them.
"We will not think twice to have a mass killing of the hostages once the military will launch an all-out offensive," Abu Sabaya, a spokesman for the kidnapping group, was quoted as saying by a local radio station.
On Monday, Philippine President Gloria Arroyo vowed to destroy the Abu Sayyaf and declared she would not let up until "you are wiped out or you surrender". "I will finish what you started. Force against force. Arms against arms," Mrs Arroyo said. The government also said no ransom would be paid, and that the only kind of negotiation would be for the unconditional release of the hostages. "This is what the challenge you hurled against me calls for. I will oblige you." No bargain The government had earlier made clear it refuses to bargain with the Abu Sayyaf Muslim separatist hostage-takers and had begun an operation to find the hostages, sending troops down to a remote southern island after gunmen were reportedly spotted there.
"Hi, I am Mr Martin Burnham, a US citizen. I am a missionary. I am with my wife (Gracia), we are in the custody of the Abu Sayyaf," he said in a telephone interview. "I am safe and unharmed. We would like to appeal for a safe negotiation." Mr Burnham's wife and another US citizen were among the group seized from the Dos Palmas resort off the western Philippine island of Palawan on Sunday. Most of those seized were ethnic Chinese Filipino tourists, while the other American hostage was Guillermo Sobero from California. Reward The Philippine Government is offering a reward of just under US $2m for information leading to the arrest of leaders and members of the group that carried out the kidnapping. A government spokesman said $100,000 would be given to anyone who provided information leading to the capture of Abu Sayyaf leaders and $20,000 to anyone who helped capture lower-ranking members of the group. The Abu Sayyaf were behind a series of high-profile kidnappings of foreign tourists last year.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Asia-Pacific stories now:
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|