BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Damian Grammaticas
"Over 5000 truned up, all of whom claim they should be allowed to live in Hong Kong"
 real 56k

Monday, 28 May, 2001, 17:28 GMT 18:28 UK
Mainlanders in HK 'should stay'
Mainland Chinese seeking right of abode in Hong Kong march in Hong Kong
The Chinese claim the right to live in the former colony
By Damian Grammaticas in Hong Kong

In Hong Kong, lawyers for more than 5,000 Chinese migrants who are fighting attempts to deport them have said the mainlanders have the right to remain.


The issue of how many mainland Chinese residents are given right of abode in Hong Kong has been one of the most contentious facing the territory

Hong Kong's highest court is hearing a final appeal brought by thousands of individuals who say they should not be separated from their families in the former colony.

They claim the government indicated it would abide by an earlier ruling which decided they had residency rights in Hong Kong and cannot now send then back to China.

Since the former colony was returned to China the issue of how many mainland Chinese residents are given right of abode in Hong Kong has been one of the most contentious facing the territory.

Ruling overturned

Two years ago the same Hong Kong court ruled that anyone who had at least one parent with residency rights in the territory was also entitled to live in there.

Geoffrey Robertson, a lawyer representing those fighting deportation, said the administration had promised the 5,000 Chinese it would honour the court's judgements.

Some of the mainland Chinese seeking right of abode in Hong Kong
Hong Kong's authorities say the Chinese migrants must return to the mainland
But the government has since claimed it would be swamped by an influx of over 1.5 million people from China and had the ruling overturned by Beijing.

It has said it will send this group back if they lose their appeal, even if it means separating families.

The government's decision to send the court's original ruling for what it called a reinterpretation by China's National People's Congress in 1999 sparked an outcry in Hong Kong.

There were claims the territory's judicial independence, guaranteed when it was returned to China, was being undermined.

Residency claimants clashed with police and last year a group tried to set fire to themselves in Hong Kong's immigration headquarters.

One residency claimant and a senior immigration officer were killed.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

19 Oct 00 | Asia-Pacific
Chinese stowaways nabbed in HK
13 Feb 99 | Asia-Pacific
China warns Hong Kong
01 Jul 98 | Hong Kong Handover Anniversary
Hong Kong: Who was wrong?
12 Feb 99 | Asia-Pacific
Hong Kong tries to reassure China
31 Dec 97 | Events of the year
Hong Kong handed over to China
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories