BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Middle East
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Chris Morris
"The two sides are stuck in their own corners"
 real 56k

Raanan Gissin, Israeli Prime Minister's spokesman
"Our patience is running short"
 real 56k

Marwan Kanafani, spokesman for Yasser Arafat
"The car bombings and the other incidents are a natural result of the Israeli oppression"
 real 56k

Sunday, 27 May, 2001, 16:49 GMT 17:49 UK
US urges Arafat to stop attacks
Israeli soldiers inspect wreckage of Sunday's car bomb
The car bombs coincided with a US diplomatic push
The new US envoy for the Middle East, William Burns, has urged Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat to stop attacks by Palestinian militants against Israel, following two car bomb blasts in Jerusalem.

"Sadly there was further violence in Jerusalem today, two terrorist attacks. I urged Arafat to do everything possible to stop it," Mr Burns said.

He was speaking after talks with Mr Arafat in the West Bank town of Ramallah.

Mr Burns is due to hold talks later on Sunday with the Israeli Prime Minister, Ariel Sharon. His mission is aimed at brokering a ceasefire between Israel and the Palestinians.

Jerusalem blasts

The explosions rocked central Jerusalem just hours before Mr Burns began his talks with Mr Arafat.

Medics help woman after second Jerusalem car bomb blast
The blasts fuel fears that the violence may again spin out of control

Police said nobody was injured in the first, while two were slightly hurt in the second explosion about nine hours later.

The attacks occurred in a shopping and entertainment area close to the police headquarters.

The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine said it carried out the first attack, while the Islamic Jihad movement said it was responsible for the second.

Mr Arafat has said he can only rein in the militants and Palestinian anger when Israel ends the building of Jewish settlements.

Israel last week declared a unilateral halt to offensive action against the Palestinians, and Mr Burns said he would urge Mr Sharon to continue to show restraint.

US pressure

US President George W Bush has urged both sides to put into effect the recommendations of the US-sponsored Mitchell report.

Grieving Palestinian mother
The conflict has claimed more than 500 lives since September

Mr Burns said he had a "constructive" meeting with Mr Arafat "about the implementation of the Mitchell report on ending the violence and resuming negotiations".

But the BBC's Simon Ingram in Jerusalem says the prospects could hardly be bleaker for Mr Burns' mission.

Mr Sharon is under pressure from hardliners in his government and from sections of public opinion to respond forcefully to what Israel sees as a campaign of provocation.

Israel has rejected one of the Mitchell report's key recommendations - a freeze on Jewish settlement expansion.

Mr Burns is seeking not only a ceasefire, but a timetable for additional measures that would eventually coax the two sides back to the negotiating table.

Siege mentality

Correspondents say the spate of attacks inside Israel has fuelled a siege mentality.


We're going to give the ceasefire a chance. But at the same time we have a responsibility to defend our citizens

Israeli Government spokesman Raanan Gissin

An Israeli police spokesman said 25 people were detained after Sunday's bomb blasts, but that police were not sure they were involved in the explosion.

Witnesses reported a series of detonations during the morning rush hour, along with the second car bomb blast.

The streets were less crowded than usual, on the eve of a Jewish holiday.

Mortar rounds

The second blast - heard across the city - set an adjacent building on fire. Police said the device was a combination of a mortar bomb and nails.

Police said the mortar rounds were sent flying through the air from the force of the blast, some landing on a rooftop and in a public park. They did not explode.

On Friday, explosions in Hadera and the Gaza Strip killed three apparent suicide bombers and injured more than 60 Israelis.

Israel is still reeling from its worst ever civilian disaster - the collapse of a building in Jerusalem that killed at least 23 people attending a wedding party on Thursday.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

27 May 01 | Middle East
In pictures: Jerusalem bomb blasts
27 May 01 | Middle East
Analysis: US back in Middle East mire
26 May 01 | From Our Own Correspondent
Middle East's circle of despair
27 May 01 | Middle East
Analysis: Muslim states and Israel
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Middle East stories