| You are in: World: Middle East | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Sunday, 27 May, 2001, 05:43 GMT 06:43 UK
Nine held over building collapse
![]() Many families are mourning several relatives
Nine people have been held in connection with the collapse of a building in Jerusalem that killed at least 23 people attending a wedding party.
A judge ordered seven of them to be detained until Thursday, and two more to be held until Tuesday while investigations go forward.
Rescue workers called off their efforts on Saturday after 42 hours. Among those held is the inventor of a construction method that was banned in 1996.
The four owners of the building, the owner of the company involved in the original construction, the contractor responsible for renovations several months ago, and an engineer were among those held. A BBC correspondent in Jerusalem says they could face charges of causing death through negligence. 'Culture of sloppiness' Israeli Police Chief Shlomo Aharonishky said the disaster was due to the country's "culture of sloppiness, of 'everything will be okay'".
An army spokesman said the operation was called off partly because the risk of continuing the search in the unstable ruins of the three-storey building was too great. He said the building would be handed over to the Jerusalem municipality which he understood planned to level the site. Engineers from the Technion, a prestigious Israeli university, have already begun taking samples for analysis. Hundreds of guests Hundreds of people were attending the wedding party on Thursday when the floor of the Versailles hall in west Jerusalem gave way, injuring more than 300 people.
The exact moment that celebration turned to tragedy was captured in a terrifying video. Footage broadcast repeatedly worldwide showed guests dancing, some with children in their arms, and then suddenly disappearing as the floor collapsed. According to Israel TV's Channel Two, a preliminary investigation of the collapse pointed to negligence in the original 1986 construction, and indicated that a supporting column was removed in renovations three months ago. Jerusalem Mayor Ehud Olmert has faced calls to resign over the tragedy. He said it was too early to draw conclusions about responsibility. Prime Minister Ariel Sharon called the accident a "national disaster" and said the government would meet on Tuesday to consider launching an official investigation. Industrial building The city's deputy mayor said the building, which stood in Talpiot industrial area, had been built for an industrial purpose - not to hold wedding receptions.
Shlomi Srur said he told his son during the celebration, "the floor is trembling here, something is wrong. I have a bad feeling." Within minutes, his wife and two of his sons were hurled into the chasm and killed. There have also been tales of heroism, such as that of Ronnie Mor, 47, who was able to free his wife from the rubble although he was unable to walk due to a fractured pelvis, shoulder and ribs. Among the injured were the bride and groom, Keren and Assaf Dror; she suffered pelvic injuries but her husband was only slightly injured.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Middle East stories now:
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Middle East stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|