BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Friday, 25 May, 2001, 11:01 GMT 12:01 UK
Earthquake strikes south-west China

By Duncan Hewitt in Shanghai

At least two people have been killed and more than 600 injured in an earthquake in south-western China.

The quake, measuring 5.8 on the Richter scale, struck a mountainous region on the border of Yunnan and Sichuan provinces, affecting dozens of towns and villages.

Officials say some 2,000 homes were destroyed and more than 40 local schools damaged. Preliminary estimates put the cost of the damage at around $36m.

The quake is the latest in a series to hit the area, which is close to some of China's most famous tourist spots.

People asleep

The quake struck early on Thuesday when many people were asleep, though state media said an earthquake warning had enabled some to leave their homes in time.

The worst hit area was Ninglang county in Yunnan province. The region, some 200km east of China's border with Burma, is inhabited mainly by members of the Yi ethnic minority.

Local officials said one person died and more than 500 were injured, 27 of them seriously as their homes collapsed.

State media said reservoirs, bridges and more than 40 schools were also damaged.

In Yanyuan county in neighbouring Sichuan province, officials say that 1,000 houses had collapsed, killing at least one person and injuring around 40.

Quake-prone area

China's south-west is notorious for being earthquake prone.

Earlier this year around 50,000 homes were destroyed by two quakes in Yunnan and Sichuan, measuring 5.9 and 6.0 on the Richter scale.

Five years ago the nearby tourist resort of Lijiang was hit by a major earthquake which destroyed many of its traditional wooden buildings.

China says it is improving its earthquake warning systems but experts say that the country is currently experiencing a period of heightened seismological activity.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

15 Jan 00 | Asia-Pacific
China struck by earthquakes
29 Sep 99 | Asia-Pacific
Taiwan earthquake: Full coverage
22 Sep 99 | World
Deadly history of earthquakes
17 Jan 00 | Asia-Pacific
Millions in damage after China 'quakes
03 Jan 99 | Asia-Pacific
Quakes hit China and Pacific Rim
30 Nov 98 | World
The Earth's Ring of Fire
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories