| You are in: World: Europe | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Friday, 25 May, 2001, 12:43 GMT 13:43 UK
Macedonian army pounds rebels
![]() The village of Vakcince is the focus of the latest fighting
The Macedonian army has been attacking ethnic Albanian rebels with tanks and helicopters on the second day of an offensive to drive them out of villages in the north of the country.
The latest fighting has been concentrated on the village of Vakcince, where the Macedonian army is facing tough resistance. A political crisis as a result of contacts between ethnic Albanian leaders and the rebels is also continuing to threaten the break-up of the governing coalition. Minaret toppled A BBC correspondent in northern Macedonia says attack helicopters, firing rockets as they fly low over Vakcince, are being met by a barrage of machine-gun fire.
Other reports said that the village mosque's minaret was toppled in the fighting. The Red Cross has estimated that 10,000 civilians remain in the rebel-held villages, huddling in basements and running short of food. Some of the 2,000 who fled overnight were reported to be from Vakcince. Wheelbarrows A spokesman for the United Nations refugee agency, said the refugees included children and men and women of all ages, including elderly people transported in wheelbarrows.
Some are continuing their journey to Kosovo. Clashes have been occurring in and around Vakcince for three weeks, after rebels ambushed a Macedonian border patrol and declared themselves in control of the area. On Thursday the army said it expected to retake 11 rebel-held villages within 24 hours. Officers said they were trying to avoid civilian casualties, but rebel commanders said a shell had hit a basement in the village of Slupcane, killing seven people.
Political storm Ethnic Albanian ministers have been responding to a warning from President Boris Trajkovski that they could lose their posts in the country's coalition government if they fail to renounce a secret peace deal struck with the rebels.
The ministers said they thought they were negotiating with the government's approval, and had no intention of renouncing the agreement. "All sides can benefit from the consultations," said Arben Xhaferi, leader of the Party for Democratic Prosperity. The US embassy in Skopje described the deal as "totally unacceptable", while an OSCE spokesman said the diplomat who mediated it, Robert Frowick, had been "acting on his own".
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Europe stories now:
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Europe stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|