BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Greg Wood
"The strike has reflected badly both on Royal Mail management and on union leaders"
 real 56k

Friday, 25 May, 2001, 01:43 GMT 02:43 UK
Postal workers return to work
Branch secretary for the local CWU, David Baulch
CWU members have voted to go back to work
Postal employees at Watford are returning to work after calling off their unofficial strike action which spread around the country.

Members of the Communication Workers Union (CWU) have voted to accept an offer from Royal Mail management to hold more talks about the introduction of new shift patterns.

Strikers in Maidstone and Cardiff have also reportedly agreed to return to work.

The rest of the 15,000 workers from offices throughout the UK, who walked out in sympathy with the Watford workers, are now expected to call off their unofficial action and return to work.

Backlog

The proposals accepted by the Watford workers included the promise of further talks between the Royal Mail and the union at national level over the next seven days.

A huge operation to clear a backlog of 47 million letters was expected to get under way on Friday at the 19 mail centres and 82 delivery offices that have been affected across the UK.

The unofficial strike action, which began when talks broke down between management and staff, spread on Wednesday to Liverpool, Manchester, Preston, Chester, Stockport, Birkenhead, north Wales, Maidstone, and Cardiff.

Election fears

There were further walkouts overnight at centres in Newcastle, Carlisle, Milton Keynes, Dartford in Kent and Harrow in London, resulting in an even bigger backlog of undelivered mail.

There were fears that if the dispute was not sorted out rapidly, the delivery of postal votes in the run-up to the 7 June general election could have been disrupted.

The settlement was thrashed out between union leaders and Royal Mail management during talks which continued into the early hours of Thursday morning.

The deal was explained to the workers at Watford, who voted in favour at a mass meeting.

Branch secretary for the local CWU, David Baulch, said on Thursday: "They voted in favour of a return to work by a vast majority of staff. A long debate was had, a lot of reassurances were given (by management)."

'Difficult'

Mr Baulch predicted it would take "a couple of weeks" for the backlog of mail to be dealt with but he was confident that general election post would not be affected.

sorting office
Work will begin on the backlog of 50 million letters
"Of course we will help clear that backlog. We certainly hope there will be no more strikes in Watford.

"No-one has ever wanted to lose money or disrupt any services but you can see how angry they have been and how difficult it has been," he said.

The Royal Mail, which handles about 80 million items of post each day, welcomed the deal to end the walkouts.

A spokesman said: "We are aiming to clear the backlog of mail as quickly as possible."

Post boxes are being unsealed and customers are advised to post outside areas where they remain blocked.

Meanwhile, a leading left-winger caused a shock when he won a ballot to be the CWU's new general secretary from July.

Liverpool-born Billy Hayes, 47, a CWU national official, beat the union's deputy general secretary John Keggie, who had been expected to win.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

28 Jun 00 | UK Politics
Bank and net plan for post offices
30 May 00 | Business
Postal unions fear Euro job losses
17 May 00 | UK Politics
Warning over post office closures
28 Jan 00 | UK Politics
Post Office to become plc
30 Nov 99 | Business
Post Office goes into red
17 Nov 99 | The Company File
New freedom for Post Office
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories